NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Windows 7 x64 computer hangs with ver. 2.6.2 when accessing users\public\npvr folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am having problems with my win7x64 computer hanging, requiring hard boot, since installing version 2.6.2. This occurs whenever I access the users\public\npvr folder in any way: to edit scripts, to view logs, or read the database. I could not even zip up logs until I went back to version 2.5.9 - so I have attached those, although I don't know that they will give you what you need for this. There is no clear error message on my system that I can find. It seems that something is not being released or destroyed and NPVR is keeping hold of that directory. Or some conflict on my system...don't know what but 2.5.9 does not seem to be a problem.

Side note: I was lucky to find the ver 2.5.9 files instead of .exe, it is great to have the .exe when installing but if you want to rollback to previous it is no good. Since the installer itself would skip over files if they are older, will you be sure to always provide just the files without the installer??? Am I at risk having copied the 2.5.9 files into the programs folders after having installed 2.6.2? What is the best way to rollback and keep setup?

Thanks,

logs attached.
I really don't know how a problem like that could have anything to do with NPVR. I get that you said it started when you upgraded to 2.6.2 and went away when you copied some version of the 2.5.9 files back, but I just don't see the connection. Obviously there's nothing in the logs about any of this.

I suggest you dump your browser history, re-download NPVR 2.6.2, and install again.
It did take me a week to connect all my computer hangs to the fact I was accessing NPVR files, so it absolutely has to do with that since it is 100% reproducible and I have never had any problems like this before on this computer so it is not hardware. I know this type of thing would be difficult to diagnose, I just ask that you keep this in mind when reviewing your code.

Can you help me with the second part of my question. I would like to do a clean install - I have cleared cache and re-downloaded - but I want to keep my tuner and schedule setup. Is that possible? What do I need to do to cleanly install program while keeping setup information?
TVHelp Wrote:keeping setup information?
NextPVR stores everything in config.xml and npvr.db3. Copy those to somewhere and delete the users\public\npvr folder before you re-install.
Thanks for the info. I have reinstalled and found I had the same problem accessing the NPVR folders.

However, after about 20 hard boots and restarts on my system, I discovered that it was not a problem in safe mode. So, changing startup options to a clean start and slowing adding items, I found that the problem occurs if I have my sidebar gadgets open - which I love my calendar and don't know what I am going to do without it!!!!!!

So for some odd reason, Windows 7 Sidebar Apps/Gadgets running and the Users\NPVR folder in version 2.6.2 are in conflict and crash my computer. Weird but true. Don't know what the exact source of the conflict is or where to take it from there.....

I guess I am giving up my gadgets - as NPVR is more importantSmile
I see now this is fallout from NEWA. Further reading on this site indicates that NEWA was incorporated with 2.6.2 release. This requires desktop interaction which is why it is crashing when other desktop gadgets are active. However, I don't see the NEWA setting in NPVR so I am guessing it was only partially incorporated. I guess I need to install that as well - I will try to figure that out and see if I get improvement for this issue.
the latest NEWA is part of the NextPVR 2.6.2 installer. There's nothing else to install.

FWIW I just enabled a bunch of gadgets on my NPVR machine with no ill effect. plenty of other people use the gadgets, in fact there's a gadget for NPVR that people use. I think your problem must lie elsewhere.
Even though your problems might not be Gadget related, Microsoft have issued a security Advisory to Totally Disable the Sidebar in both Vista & W7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719662 -- there is a Fixit to remove all functionality.
TVHelp Wrote:I see now this is fallout from NEWA. Further reading on this site indicates that NEWA was incorporated with 2.6.2 release.

For clarity NEWA has always been included with NextPVR. NEWA has a desktop gadget, but it doesn't run by default. If the gadget is running changes in the Infoxml page can noticeably slow down a system in some setups.

Martin
Not sure then...this problem definitely part of 2.6.2 as 2.5.9 does not impact my system. I have noticed the system hang when EPG is updating as well (but not if I run it manually). So back to being lost on this issue, I don't know how I am going to figure out what else on my system is in conflict with NPVR and may have to stick with 2.5.9Sad