NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Stuttering video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if you guys deal with this kind of question, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I have a HVR-1250 tuner and I have issues with stuttering when using my secondary display (720p HDTV hooked up with HDMI) but the feed is perfectly smooth on my primary (old LCD monitor hooked up with DVI). This problem software specific as it happens when using the NextPVR program or Hauppauge's WinTV software. I tried switching my primary desktop through windows, but it doesn't make a difference. Playing 720p or even 1080p videos (ie. mkv, avi, etc.) is perfectly smooth on the HDTV panel, so it does work fine just not with my tuner apparently. The feed is an ATSC HiDef OTA. I checked signal strength and its very high.

I personally believe its a issue with the frame rate from the TV feed and the secondary monitor not matching. I decided to ask here as I'm not sure where to turn. Do you guys no of some sort of refresh rate matching software/tweak?

Windows 7 64 bit
AMD APU A8-3850
ATSC OTA feeds

Primary monitor:
1440 x 900 Refresh Rate of 61 Hz

Secondary monitor:
1360 x 768 Refresh Rate of 60 Hz

Thanks for any help
sgorveatt Wrote:Do you guys no of some sort of refresh rate matching software/tweak?
Does this do what you want ... http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...utoRefresh
I doubt that the problem has anything to do with frame rates. The same frame rate has been used for U.S. TV since the introduction of color. It's probably related to the fact that 1080i ATSC channels have to be deinterlaced for display on a 720p TV. Keep that in mind when reviewing graphics settings for using the TV as display, and enable hardware acceleration if available. I looked up the AMD APU A8-3850 and speed should not be the problem, however I'm a little skeptical of these newer processors that combine CPU and GPU. The only settings within NextPVR that might have any bearing are your choices for Video Renderer (EVR recommended, but others could be tried) and MPEG2 Video decoder (Microsoft recommended, but the MainConcept decoder that comes with WinTV should also work).

[Edit] The TV could perform this conversion, if graphics controls would allow you to set up your display as 1080i. I only have experience with a 1080p TV myself. [Edit] Might not apply via HDMI anyway.
It might be something related to having two displays on the A8 APU combined with AMD/ATI's driver reputation. You might try putting the TV on the DVI alone, or on the HDMI alone and see how that works. You also might check the AMD forums for help or driver updates. Does the graphics driver give you separate settings for the two displays? There might be something there.