NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Need Help Setting up a Client PC...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would think this would have already been posted somewhere, but I can't seem to find a good setup link for connecting a client PC for NPVR. I have a combined NPVR Client/Server running in my downstairs office and it contains a dual HD tuner card. Everything has been setup and channels configured and I am able to watch live TV on that PC and use the NPVR addon to XBMC Frodo 12.2.

So my question is how do I set up my remote client on my upstairs PC to connect to the server downstairs and make use of it's installed tuners? I have already downloaded NPVR on the remote client PC as well as XBMC. I figure I should get the remote client configured in NPVR first before I move on to interface it with XBMC.

If there are instructions already posted for this specific task, could someone post the link? Otherwise what steps do I have to do to configure the remote client PC?

Thanks,

Update: OK, I found limited info on the NextPVR website here http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...on.Devices.

On my Client machine, I checked the box for Act as Client PC and entered the name of my server, PrecisionT7500. In the database share, I put \\PrecisionT7500\Users\Public\NPVR. However, after saving changes and restarting NPVR, I get an error that says, "Server database not found at \\PrecisionT7500\Users\Public\NPVR\npvr.db3". Then I suspected I had to add NRecord.exe, NPVR.exe, and Ntray.exe to the firewall exceptions list, which I did. I am still getting the same error message in which it cannot find the database.

What else do I need to do? I have verified that the database path is correct and the npvr.db3 file does exist on the server.
Try this:

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...nt.PC#toc1

Definitely a good idea to get it all working in NPVR before trying to integrate into XBMC.
mikeh49 Wrote:Try this:

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...nt.PC#toc1

Definitely a good idea to get it all working in NPVR before trying to integrate into XBMC.

Mike,

Thank you, however, I have gone through that page already. I have pinged my server at the command prompt and there's no issue there. Do I have to share the /users/public/NPVR folder on the server so the client PC can "see" it?
I have confirmed that the \Users\Public\NPVR folder is set to shared on the server. The server shortened the path to \\Precisiont7500\NPVR. I updated this on the Client PC. Still doesn't work. The client PC cannot see the database.

Sieggs1
Mike,

I noticed you also have an AverMedia A188 Duet tuner which is the tuner i am using. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work with your setup? Mine is running OK on the Server.

Sieggs1
OK, I have managed to get access to the \Users\Public\npvr folder through the Client PC by way of sharing. Once I have navigated to this folder by essentially a remote login through the Client PC, I can then open NPVR and get into LiveTV without issue. However, if I don't remotely login to this folder first, starting NPVR will produce the "cannot find database error". Is there another setting I am missing so that I don't have to remote login to the server first?

Thanks,

Sieggs1
Ever resolve this???? I'm finding the same problems
The easiest workaround to this is to set the permission to the shared npvr folder to "allow all" for everyone. It has to do with the windows mechanics for access. Another way is to have the same user with the same password on both server and client and configure sharing to go via password and not homegroup (on win7 and above).