NextPVR Forums

Full Version: issues after Windows updates?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all;

I'd been running (the previous version to 2.6.2) fine on a rather bare-bones Win7. I ran available Windows updates last week, and the old version would not longer run. I assumed it was something related to the updates, decided to give the 2.6.2 a try.

The 2.6.2 installer would not install, broke at line calling the installer's .exe --update

I moved my old directory to NPVR-dead (the only thing I really care about is the recordings library), ran the installer again, no change (but even though the binary fails to install it still creates the NPVR directory and installs recording service etc).

I rip everything out using NPVR's native uninstaller. reboot. Rip out all the reg keys that contain "NPVR" that the uninstaller did not uninstall. reboot. Try what should be a totally clean install now of the 2.6.2, still fails. Same point.

If there's any logging happening I sure don't see it.

WinTV works great. Hauppauge 1600.

No Antivirus running on the system.

Any next steps or ways to invoke the installer .exe so that I get logging?
--> the 2.5.9 installer is not longer at the link in that announcement, can someone let me know a location for that build? I'll try it again. Thanks!

Thanks!
All I can get for a log seems to be from the crash dialog of the installer itself.

Is the current installer download working for others?

-------------------
Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: NextPVR.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 514fb610
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18015
Fault Module Timestamp: 50b83c8a
Exception Code: e053534f
Exception Offset: 0000c41f
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=1...cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
If you move out your npvr.db3 file to let NextPVR create a new one does it work?

Martin
Have a look at the size of your config file
If your config file of is smaller than the default one delete it and start over
I have had the same set up running for ever and for some reason my config file was half missing earlier in the week.
Thanks for the replies.

I've moved the NPVR directory to NPVR-dead and all installs are running as clean installs.
I haven't tried moving any configs or db3 back yet. I can't get a clean base system to even install properly.

I've confirmed windows defender is off, forcing run as administrator makes no difference, I've ensured no winTV server services got started accidentally and are bound to the tuner, windefender is stopped.. drive checks OK... not looking good here.

I did pull down a couple of .Net updates in this update batch. KB2833946, 2840631, 2844286 and 2832414
Those are for .Net 3.5.1 / 64bit; I suppose I could move to the 4.x series...
No you need .NET 2.0 for NextPVR currently, 4.0 is the next version , I'd suggest a repair of.net

Martin
toomanyhandles Wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I've moved the NPVR directory to NPVR-dead and all installs are running as clean installs.
I haven't tried moving any configs or db3 back yet. I can't get a clean base system to even install properly.

You do actually mean NPVR directories don't you?? It's the NPVR data directory that contains the db & config files not the one in program files
Have you tried doing a Windows restore? I had a problem after a Windows Update some time ago and took it back to the oldest restore point and this cured the problem then was careful about installing the most recent updates.

Have you considered a clean install as there are some Windows problems that are too difficult to repair? My NextPVR client had a “Workgroup” problem so no workgroup was listed on “System” in control panel. As its not in plain text in the registry a reinstall was the simple solution especially as it is a client.

You obviously first need to make a backup copy of the entire NPVR data directory. Hopefully a clean install of NextPVR works in which case you can rename the new NPVR directory and replace it with your original NPVRdirectory.
This is Win7/ 64, so 3.5.1 is as far back as I can go, I believe.

There isn't an option to "repair" this; its enable/disable windows features panel as it comes stop with Win7.
I disabled .Net3.5, rebooted, enabled .net, rebooted, and the Win update panel doesn't show that I have the .Net 3.5.1 updates installed that I added on 8.22. Install (clean) of NextPVR fails at the same place.

Any .Net Dev out there that can tell me hot I can find a little more about what its calling when it breaks? Step thru this via procmon or something?

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2