NextPVR Forums

Full Version: No Sound from QAM Channels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After setting up NextPVR to my Hauppaug 2250 tuner card with two tuners the only channels with sound are the analog channels called cable channels, how do i get sound from the QAM channels? My HTPC runs windows 7 with an ATI Radeon HD5500 video card sending video and sound (HDMI) cable to a 46"samsung TV.
Hi. The QAM channels are using AC3, and the Microsoft decoder doesn't support 3rd-party applications for that format. If you have WinTV installed, try Hauppauge's AC3 decoder (Settings->Decoders). It might be necessary to install a decoder such as AC3Filter (http://www.ac3filter.net/), which is a free download that's very popular around here. (The analog channels are encoded as MPEG1 by the tuner.)

[Edit] There might be more to it than that with HDMI. Will you be using the TV's built-in speakers or passing through to a digital sound system?
you can go into the settings for AC3Filter and set most formats to "pass through" - this will just send the digital bitstream on to the TV and let the TV decode it. Other AC3 decoders probably have similar settings.
I am having the same issue. Is the same true for ATSC over the air channels?
Yes, they also use AC3 audio.