NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Slow Channel Change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, everyone. I just got NextPVR installed and working. I can watch live tv, but the channel changing is rather slow. It takes 6 seconds up to 30 seconds (sometimes even longer). Any suggestions on how I can get NextPVR to change the channels more quickly? System information below.

Thanks for your help.

NextPVR 2.6.2
SAF6 from HOBORG installed
Patch to re-enable Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder installed
Windows 8 32 bit
Intel Core i3 processor
Hauppauge HVR 2250 tuner card
Channels in ATSC from digital TV antenna
Playing around, I can see the ts file being saved to the hard drive changes in about a second to the new channel, but the video for the new channel within the NextPVR application takes much longer to appear. Is this normal?
Definitely not normal. Zip and post your logs after reproducing the problem.
No not normal. It'll be something related to the decoders or renderers being used.

A typical channel change should take somewhere in the 1-4 seconds channel range, depending on speed of tuner, time to first I-Frame in the stream, audio/video muxing etc.
I attached the log files. There were three with the same time stamp so all are included. Also, I have the MPEG2 decoder set to LAV Video Decoder and the H.264 decoder set to Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Recorder.
Try some other decoder combinations.
Since you installed SAF6, you might want to send a private message to hoborg requesting the unlocked version. That would give you a better MPEG2 decoder. You probably don't get any H.264 channels.
Yes, the LAV decoder is probably your problem, I think I had exactly the same problem when I tried it awhile back. Also you can disable the H.264 decoder, you're not using it and the general advice is to only enable decoders you're actually using.

Getting SAF Unlocked will be better. Too bad Windows 8 disables the Microsoft decoder for MPEG-2, that's the decoder I've always had the best results with.
Thanks for the advice on SAF6. I sent a PM to hoborg but haven't heard back from him yet. I'll post if the unlocked version performs better.

For MPEG-2 support in Windows 8, I was able to find this on MSDN. I'm guessing this is not something that can be used to enable MPEG-2 support on Windows 8? The page says it is for Windows 8 or higher.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...85%29.aspx
Microsoft is slowing moving from DirectShow (which NextPVR uses) to MFT, that is an MFT decoder.

Martin
Pages: 1 2