NextPVR Forums

Full Version: NextPVR has stopped working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was in the list of channels, I deleted a channel and got an Unhandled Exception and then a crash out of the application. Now when I try to start NextPVR, I get the error NextPVR has stopped working.

I have tried reinstalling NextPVR but no help.

I am attaching the log file but I am guessing it is of little help because the date has not updated since the last time Next PVR ran successfully.

The log file complains about DirectX which I tried reinstalling.

I see no other file with a more recent date.

I have the lastest version of NextPVR, just installed it a couple of days ago.
I wonder if the database has somehow corrupted itself.

Maybe temporarily rename npvr.db3 to npvr.db3.old, then see if the app will start.
sub Wrote:I wonder if the database has somehow corrupted itself.

Maybe temporarily rename npvr.db3 to npvr.db3.old, then see if the app will start.

Tried that. No luck.
Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling then. Sounds like some file is broken.
It was config.xml. Renamed it now all good. Perhaps a good upgrade is to do a crc check on all config / db files before loading. Make a copy as backup. If CRC fails got to the backup.

Should I post this in the suggestions forum or is this good?
To be honest, I don't think it'd be worth adding more automated checking around this stuff. On the whole, it's been very reliable, so doesn't really represent problem worth worrying about. Of the thousands of version upgrades that have happened over the years, we could probably count on three fingers the number of times a user ending up with a corrupt config.xml. The upgrade process does also create a Config-old.xml from the config.xml before attempting the upgrade.
I don't think he meant specifically that the problem happened during an upgrade, he was just suggesting doing something to protect against config.xml corruption in general would be a good upgrade to the software.

I agree with you though, config.xml problems are pretty rare, probably not worth spending your time on. Certainly not time you could be spending fixing MY problems! Big Grin
And a really fairly simple fix. There are tons of crc funtions out there. Checksum could be used too but from memory I think crc is better. Obivous corruption happens because it happened to me in the first few days of using the product just by deleting a channel.