NextPVR Forums

Full Version: VLC doesnt work well playing .ts files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have nPVR 3.1.1 running on a headless PC and access it from my XP workstation via the network and NEWA.

I am recording shows from the UK FREESAT service - so the recordings are in .TS format.

nPVR works well but when I try to play the larger .TS files (<4GB) from my ws I get intermittent video and audio "stutter".

I am using VLC v2.1.1 as the player on the XP machine.

I have searched the VLC forums and tried various suggestions, to no avail :-(

It's not the network - even when I copy a file over to my ws and play it directly it still stutters.

VLC is happy playing DVDs on the same ws and it's a dual core 3GHz system.

Is there an alternative to VLC I can use that will directly play these .TS files without transcoding ???

TIA
Dave
I had a quick check and it looks as though hardware acceleration is only available in VLC with Vista and later OS's.
The larger ts files will be H264 which needs hardware Acceleration or a very grunty processor.
One player which gives very acceptable ts playback is MPC-HC (MediaPlayerClasic-Home Cinema) I use it over the network for watching Freeview HD recordings.
I think you can configure NEWA to use MPC-HC instead of VLC, thou I'v never tried it.
+1 for mpc-hc as an alternative to vlc and it even is available as a portable app http://portableapps.com/apps/music_video...c-portable

Martin
I finally got to the bottom of this ... it seems my XP PC decided to connect to the network at 10Mb/s. Forcing it back to 100 fixed the problem.

This explains why it only happened on some recordings (ie the ones with a higher bit rate).

BTW MPC-HC is a very nice alternative to VLC and doesn't share some of it's "features! ;-)