NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Samsung App Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am looking at getting a TV for my bedroom, so I'm pretty interested in this project. I currently run NPVR on a computer attached to the TV in my family room, but have never taken advantage of the client/server mode.

My understanding is that I would need to enable the web server on my NPVR computer and download the Samsung App to the television. When I run the App on the TV, I'd have full access to recordings on the server. Is this how it works? Would the server be able to playback recordings on the main TV and the client TV at the same time?

These are the televisions I'm considering:

UN32EH5300

UN32F5500

Is one of these a better choice for potentially running the Samsung App? I realize these models haven't been tested, but I'd like to know if the UN32F5500 is worth the extra investment.

Thanks,
Pete
basically nextpvr just streams the file from the server to the tv, so any other client (eg windows media player on a computer, or a real npvr on another computer) can watch the same (or different) recordings at the same time. however they obviously wont be in sync.

the samsung app uses nextpvr webapi and not the newa api, so i dont believe newa needs to be enabled, you just need to ensure port 8866 (if you havent changed the default port) is open and accessible on your local network.

Go with the UN32F5500 out of those two, I wouldnt bother with a "E" (2012) model device if you're buying brand new, the only have a single core processor and are a lot SLOWER (cant stress this enough). the 2013 (F) models have dual core (just double check in case not everyone does, i believe they do, but i could be wrong). the UN32F5500 does have a dual core chip. I was going to get the F5500 at first but decided to go with the F6400 (price diff wasnt that much and you get 3D, which my 4 year old loves, me not so much).
Thanks for the reply. With any luck I'll get the F5500 this weekend.

Thanks also for opening up the beta.
One more question; Does the App support keyboard input? I've read that you can use a wireless USB keyboard with the F5500 as long as the App support keyboard input.
honestly i dont know, it might. really depends how samsung do this. i use samsungs standard input for entering server name etc, so that might work with a keyboard.

but not sure why you would want to use a keyboard with it. only have to enter that info once and then best used with remote
I have recently purchased a sammy UE40F6670 it's an awesome TV and when I came across this forum I was very impressed at the chance of running nPVR from the smart hub. I followed all of the instructions to download the app, and it seems to startup fine (just shows, settings and exit). When I go into settings and navigate to the first box to add my server, upon pushing enter the app just simply locks up. All I can do is press the smarthub button to force quit the app.

Has anyone else experienced this? I made sure I had the latest server 3.1.1 plus patches running on my PC beforehand.
What version of the samsung app are you running?