NextPVR Forums

Full Version: A few questions from the sticky....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off I am new to NextPVR, but not to PVR software (SageTV and clients used daily) or XBMC (Still use old chipped original Xboxes).
But Google purchased SageTV (so expansion is difficult), and with the PVR add-on for XBMC, it finally seemed like it was time for a 'One Box to Rule them All' media center.....

So I just got a new box up and running with NextPVR backend using HDHomeRun DUAL tuner and a DB8 antenna for North American ATSC.
Got the guide data working via schedules direct and currently have the standard PVR Add-on (sub's flavor) working in XBMC 12.3 on a front end box.

It all seems very, very close. Nice job by all. When / If I get this stable enough to roll out to the family I will definately donate. (And sell my SageTV clients).

Why this thread topic? From the sticky...
Quote:
  • Why would I use X-NEW and not sub's XMBC addon?
    • you really should try sub's plugin first
    • navigation support for recordings in progress
    • you mainly use NextPVR and NMT client and you want to share resume bookmarks.
    • your XBMC doesn't support Frodo, tested on OpenElec, GeeXBox and XBMCbuntu live

Quote:you really should try sub's plugin first
It's quite impressive.
Quote:navigation support for recordings in progress
One heavy usage pattern I have with SageTV, during NFL season, is to start a recording at 1:00pm (and pad it an hour) and start watching it about 2:30-3:30pm. This is before the recording's scheduled end time so the file is not 'complete' in the server's OS file system - but it streams just fine anyways. In initial playing with sub's flavor PVR add-on I noticed that (appears to me anyway) the recording must complete before they become available / visible in the 'Recordings' area of the XBMC client. Does this bullet point mean that with X-NEWA I can do what I described I do with SageTV?
Quote:you mainly use NextPVR and NMT client and you want to share resume bookmarks.
Along time ago I investigated XBMC's mySQL features to enable multiple clients to stop / start / resume in coordination (SageTV has this feature). Does this bullet point potentially mean that I would not have to install mySQL on my backend? But this comes out-of-the-box with X-NEWA? Sure sounds like it.
Quote:your XBMC doesn't support Frodo, tested on OpenElec, GeeXBox and XBMCbuntu live
I was planning on eventually making clients to replace my SageTV HD200s using the future favored Intel NUC boxes - which seem to have a lot of love in the OpenElec crowd. And I assumed I would run OpenElec on them to save $ vs Windoze boxes. Does this bullet imply that sub's NextPVR add-on CANNOT run on anything but XBMC (Windows) Frodo 12+. ? If so that had escaped me in threads that I had read.

Thanks
Slack Wrote:.One heavy usage pattern I have with SageTV, during NFL season, is to start a recording at 1:00pm (and pad it an hour) and start watching it about 2:30-3:30pm. This is before the recording's scheduled end time so the file is not 'complete' in the server's OS file system - but it streams just fine anyways. In initial playing with sub's flavor PVR add-on I noticed that (appears to me anyway) the recording must complete before they become available / visible in the 'Recordings' area of the XBMC client. Does this bullet point mean that with X-NEWA I can do what I described I do with SageTV?

Yes assuming you are playing a file from a shared folder it will play through http streaming doesn't change duration in xbmc.

Quote:Along time ago I investigated XBMC's mySQL features to enable multiple clients to stop / start / resume in coordination (SageTV has this feature). Does this bullet point potentially mean that I would not have to install mySQL on my backend? But this comes out-of-the-box with X-NEWA? Sure sounds like it.

Yes works very well. This function is now there in sub's Addon for Gotham but it it not dynamic, it takes time to propagate updates so you can't just walk into another room and expect to get the proper resume point.

Quote: was planning on eventually making clients to replace my SageTV HD200s using the future favored Intel NUC boxes - which seem to have a lot of love in the OpenElec crowd. And I assumed I would run OpenElec on them to save $ vs Windoze boxes. Does this bullet imply that sub's NextPVR add-on CANNOT run on anything but XBMC (Windows) Frodo 12+. ? If so that had escaped me in threads that I had read.

That needs an update it is not a problem with releases. Sub only builds Windows updates, so they aren't available for testing until his code hits the mainline (days to months) and then during the alpha/beta cycles you are at the mercy of multiple devs getting it onto your platform. OpenElec is quite responsive.

Martin