NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Live TV Timeshift, comskip for active recordings and a few more questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Martin, thank you for the time you have put into XNEWA and the time that you spend supporting it. This past weekend I installed a Linux distro on my GBOX Midnight MX2, using Gotham Beta ,and have been using XNEWA exclusively as my frontend to nPVR. I am using the Chameleon version with path substitutions. I have a few questions.

I would like to be able to timeshift live tv (rewind to previous parts of the video as well as fast forward from rewinding or ff to catch up to current time if the video was paused). At the moment, when I press rewind, I see the OSD say that it's rewinding but the video continues to move forward with no sound. If I increase the rew multiplier I am able to get back in time a bit, but when I press play the video is paused but I can hear the audio playing. I have similar problems when fast forwarding, but it usually ends up with a frozen picture and no audio. I usually reboot the machine but perhaps it would timeout if I were patient enough to wait. I am using 'Native' as my streaming option. Should I be using something else? I did try Timeshift but it just says 'Please wait - Loading 5%' and hangs. When I go to the nPVR server I get a message saying it can't find VLC. I do have VLC installed on the server but perhaps at a different path.

When playing a recording that is actively being recorded, I can fast forward/rewind just fine. I did notice that I cannot fast forward beyond the time I started watching. For example, I started watching the news (30 minute program) after it had been recording for 15 minutes. I watched portions and fast forwarded through commercials. I was in a commercial break but was not able to fast forward through it beyond the 15 minute mark despite the program being recorded for an additional 10 minutes. I had hoped that I could fast forward all the way to the live part, but I was not able to do this. Am I doing something wrong?

When selecting a program from the Tv Guide, I sometimes stay on the Tv Guide rather than go full screen video. This doesn't happen often, but I'm not sure how I get to the full screen video. I've escaped out all the way to the XBMC gui and the video plays fine, but when I stop I have to launch XNEWA again. Is there an easy keypress to go from Tv Guide to full screen? I read your Newbies post and saw '- returning while video is playing in the EPG will continue" .. I'm not sure what that means or how this is done.

I'd like to make the default action be 'Watch' rather than 'Close' on all the dialog boxes. I haven't looked at the code for XNEWA, but is this just a matter of me editing a python program to reorder the options or is it not easy for me to change?

Not XNEWA specific question. With SageTv, I was able to run comskip parallel to recordings (both live and scheduled) and have those edls available for use even while they were being appended to. Do you know if this is possible with XBMC/XNEWA or is the edl loaded once at the start of playback?
dinki Wrote:Martin, thank you for the time you have put into XNEWA and the time that you spend supporting it. This past weekend I installed a Linux distro on my GBOX Midnight MX2, using Gotham Beta ,and have been using XNEWA exclusively as my frontend to nPVR. I am using the Chameleon version with path substitutions. I have a few questions.

I would say with 3.1.1 it is not quite there for full time use, with 3.2.x you will see some stability and compatibility improvements

Quote:I would like to be able to timeshift live tv (rewind to previous parts of the video as well as fast forward from rewinding or ff to catch up to current time if the video was paused).

I theory it is possible but this is a function of XBMC plus player compatibility. I use skipping exclusively so I have no personal experience with FF/RW.

Quote:At the moment, when I press rewind, I see the OSD say that it's rewinding but the video continues to move forward with no sound.

Player

Quote:If I increase the rew multiplier I am able to get back in time a bit, but when I press play the video is paused but I can hear the audio playing.

Player

Quote:I have similar problems when fast forwarding, but it usually ends up with a frozen picture and no audio. I usually reboot the machine but perhaps it would timeout if I were patient enough to wait.

Player/XBMC I am pretty sure it will eventually timeout.

Quote:I am using 'Native' as my streaming option. Should I be using something else? I did try Timeshift but it just says 'Please wait - Loading 5%' and hangs. When I go to the nPVR server I get a message saying it can't find VLC. I do have VLC installed on the server but perhaps at a different path.

Timeshift mode might improve playback. You needed to do some tweaks to config-web.xml to point to the proper VLC (probably you need to point to 32 bit (x86) folder)
If you have sub's PVR installed and have it configured for Timeshifting, then you can try PVR mode too.

Quote:When playing a recording that is actively being recorded, I can fast forward/rewind just fine. I did notice that I cannot fast forward beyond the time I started watching. For example, I started watching the news (30 minute program) after it had been recording for 15 minutes. I watched portions and fast forwarded through commercials. I was in a commercial break but was not able to fast forward through it beyond the 15 minute mark despite the program being recorded for an additional 10 minutes. I had hoped that I could fast forward all the way to the live part, but I was not able to do this. Am I doing something wrong?

Could be player, but you do have to be careful to stop FF just short of the live part. You'd have to check that there wasn't an error loading from the share too, if it falls back to http mode, you can never get to live tv. Hopefully the resume is being set.

Quote:When selecting a program from the Tv Guide, I sometimes stay on the Tv Guide rather than go full screen video. This doesn't happen often, but I'm not sure how I get to the full screen video.

That is most likely an x-newa python bug and what you are seeing is a x-newa crash. Hopefully fixed in the next release otherwise send the xbmc.log.

Quote:II read your Newbies post and saw '- returning while video is playing in the EPG will continue" .. I'm not sure what that means or how this is done.

That is not for web client mode.

Quote:I'd like to make the default action be 'Watch' rather than 'Close' on all the dialog boxes. I haven't looked at the code for XNEWA, but is this just a matter of me editing a python program to reorder the options or is it not easy for me to change?

That's a NextPVR wishlist. The web client UI is NextPVR.

Quote:With SageTv, I was able to run comskip parallel to recordings (both live and scheduled) and have those edls available for use even while they were being appended to. Do you know if this is possible with XBMC/XNEWA or is the edl loaded once at the start of playback?

If it isn't working then that is an XBMC enhancement. When you hit the O key it tells how many edl points are loaded if you see it refresh then XBMC is reloading it, but I don't think that it does.

Martin
Martin, thanks for the information. I am not, however, using XNEWA in web client mode. By 'Player' you're saying that it is an issue with the player? I am using the stock XBMC player. I suppose I could look into trying to use an external player if that 'fixes' things.

I did check the logs just now and it was playing using path substitution and not http.
dinki Wrote:Martin, thanks for the information. I am not, however, using XNEWA in web client mode.

Chameleon is Web Client

Quote: By 'Player' you're saying that it is an issue with the player? I am using the stock XBMC player. I suppose I could look into trying to use an external player if that 'fixes' things.

I mean the hardware player AMLogic based player in your box. All hardware responds differently (ie Broadcom [RPi], AMLogic, Rockchip, A10/20, i.MX6 to name a few) to the stream playback. Even Windows XBMC and Linux XBMC handle Intel/AMD CPU h/w playback differently.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:I mean the hardware player AMLogic based player in your box. All hardware responds differently (ie Broadcom [RPi], AMLogic, Rockchip, A10/20, i.MX6 to name a few) to the stream playback. Even Windows XBMC and Linux XBMC handle Intel/AMD CPU h/w playback differently.
Martin

Is there anything I can do about this? It's unfortunate, but I am having a heck of a time doing any sort of time shifting. Pause works just fine, but any sort of seeking puts things in a tail spin. I'm also experiencing some odd behavior with my OpenELEC RPI player too. I'm beginning to think that it may be related to Gotham Beta 1 as I'm running it on both boxes but I can't confirm it.
It is unlikely that this is a simple problem related to the Beta. As I wrote if you want Timeshifting in Live TV try PVR mode, it's the only one that sub has any control over. I don't have suggestions for recordings other than try to see how it plays on a Windows XBMC client as a comparison, and stay away from the end of file.

Martin
Unfortunately the beta version OS I am running on the MX2 has an issue with nPVR's PVR addon and I cannot enable it so I can't try PVR mode. I'll try the Windows XBMC client tonight and see how it works.