NextPVR Forums

Full Version: thetvdb.com metadata questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

I have been working on a program to retrieve season and episode data (using tvrage.com instead) and incorporate it into the npvr.db3 database. It was all set to go live when you announced the new version.
Is that function going to be included now through thetvdb.com metadata?
How is the metadata going to be used?
Will it be accessible to us (like schedulesdirect xml)?
I checked the new check boxes but don't get any of the pictures or metadata shown in the announcement thread in videos or recorded tv.

Mostly, I don't want to waste time duplicating new features.

I am trying to transition from SageTV since it has an uncertain future but there are several WAF issues to overcome first.

Thanks,
drmargarit
Quote:I have been working on a program to retrieve season and episode data (using tvrage.com instead) and incorporate it into the npvr.db3 database. It was all set to go live when you announced the new version.
Is that function going to be included now through thetvdb.com metadata?
How is the metadata going to be used?
At the moment it's used to get artwork and at least a basic series description for new shows that are recorded. I do intend to use it for more in future release, but I'm not sure exactly what yet at this stage.

I haven't done anything with season/episode at this stage, but I thought I might eventually update the NextPVR database to include the season and episode info if this was included in the result returned from thetvdb.

Quote:Will it be accessible to us (like schedulesdirect xml)?
Yes, all the data is available to plugins via the EPGEvent and/or ScheduledRecording, or you can look in the database.

Quote:I checked the new check boxes but don't get any of the pictures or metadata shown in the announcement thread in videos or recorded tv.
It only grabs the new metadata when you make a recording, so are these recordings you made since ticking that checkbox? ie, it wont make any difference to existing stuff you've already got.

In the TV Guide, it will look on thetvdb for artwork, even before recording, if it doesn't already have it though.
I'm happy to take suggestions if there is specific things you want to see it doing.
Thanks for the quick reply! It is my preference to have the recordings say "Futurama: S01E02 Fry blah blah blah". It helps to know if we are watching episodes in the right order or if we missed one somehow. If one was missed because of a sporting event that ran over etc. I can easily identify the episode I need to procure elsewhere.

I have never done much web programming and no xml programming. It seemed like a project I could knock off in a weekend to grab Season/Episode data. Months later, I am almost done! If you are in downloading metadata anyway, maybe you could populate the season and episode fields that are already in the database? I could do with it whatever I wanted and you wouldn't tick off other users whose preferences are contrary to mine. It mostly applies to US programming

drmargarit
drmargarit Wrote:Thanks for the quick reply! It is my preference to have the recordings say "Futurama: S01E02 Fry blah blah blah". It helps to know if we are watching episodes in the right order or if we missed one somehow. If one was missed because of a sporting event that ran over etc. I can easily identify the episode I need to procure elsewhere.

I have never done much web programming and no xml programming. It seemed like a project I could knock off in a weekend to grab Season/Episode data. Months later, I am almost done! If you are in downloading metadata anyway, maybe you could populate the season and episode fields that are already in the database? I could do with it whatever I wanted and you wouldn't tick off other users whose preferences are contrary to mine. It mostly applies to US programming

drmargarit

Did you try using imageGrabLite to renames files? It renames to a season/episode format that works for xbmc and plex

Mart
drmargarit Wrote:Thanks for the quick reply! It is my preference to have the recordings say "Futurama: S01E02 Fry blah blah blah". It helps to know if we are watching episodes in the right order or if we missed one somehow. If one was missed because of a sporting event that ran over etc. I can easily identify the episode I need to procure elsewhere.
I've noted it down, and will try add this in the next release.
Cool. Thanks.

I haven't tried imageGrabLite but am aware of it. I wanted to see if I could do it myself. Plus I wanted to add other functions like record to an ssd, do .ts repair and cleanup, run comskip on the file with a different .ini for each channel, rename the file and then move it from the ssd to spinning disk.

I am trying hard to get npvr working for me because it gives me easy access to the database so I can do these things. I can buy computers from Dell but I like to build them myself for the similar reasons.

drmargarit
sub Wrote:In the TV Guide, it will look on thetvdb for artwork, even before recording, if it doesn't already have it though.

Sub - It appears to be overwriting Showname.jpg files that are already in the media/shows folder - some of my custom made posters have been replaced with the wrong show (due to shortcomings of thetvdb I had to make them) - shouldn't it only get the stuff (banner etc.) that is missing?

Perhaps I should start improving thetvdb.
Lao Pan Wrote:Sub - It appears to be overwriting Showname.jpg files that are already in the media/shows folder - some of my custom made posters have been replaced with the wrong show (due to shortcomings of thetvdb I had to make them) - shouldn't it only get the stuff (banner etc.) that is missing?
Yes, it should only grab artwork it hasn't already got. I'll check it.
sub Wrote:Yes, it should only grab artwork it hasn't already got. I'll check it.

On further investigation it looks as though it is only overwriting by date - which is probably acceptable.

If I replace the overwritten file with a new one again it then stays as is. I guess until someone updates the tvdb again.
Pages: 1 2 3