NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Newbie with a very stupid question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi chaps.
I am running xmbc on my windows 7 ultimate 64bits PC and have been struggling to use live TV and set up NextPVR 3.2.9 in XMBC (Gotham version).
First and foremost do I need a PCI tuner to receive TV channels in XMBC so I can watch live TV?
I have TV catch up addon on and can see UK freeview channels. How can I get them to be recognised by NextPVR?
I have a list of TV channels in a strm file can they be included in NextPVR?
What I have done so far is: Downloaded NextPVR 3.2.9 and installed the program under administrator.

I went to devices and it recognise my xmbc program. So I highlighted it and pressed OK.
when Web server is enabled and "act as client PC" is ticked.
In XMBC I can see on top a message saying: PVR manager is starting up - Loading channels... from clients. Afterwards when I select live TV I have a menu on the right hand side with no TV channels and in the system tab under system info I can see that the PVR service appears with the following PVR service information:
CLIENT NUMBER 1 OF 1
PVR backend 127.0.0.1
Version 1.0
Address connected
Disksize total 0 gbites
Channels 0
Recording 0
Upcoming recording 0
In NPVR I have the following message: server database not found at: hushpc/npvr/npvr.db3.
When I untick "act as a client" nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong?
Many thanks for your help.
Marty
NextPVR works with broadcast TV via a tuner. The tuner can be satellite or cable or Freeview or a device that allows a set-top box to connect to the computer via, for example, component or s-video. NextPVR is not what you want to view channels via, for example, BBC iPlayer. You would have one or more tuners in the "server" in the diagram at http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Client.Client
Thank you for your answer. So basically I would need a digital pci tv/sat tuner to be installed in the PC in order to get any TV channels.
yep
Or USB tuner/tuners.
MartyMacfly Wrote:I have a list of TV channels in a strm file can they be included in NextPVR?

If the .strm file points to an fairly static mpeg-ts stream server you can add it as an IPTV channel or via the NetworkRecorder plugin. Most URL's though are flash or other non supported video types and the URLs change too often to be used with the consistency that one would want in a PVR.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:If the .strm file points to an fairly static mpeg-ts stream server you can add it as an IPTV channel or via the NetworkRecorder plugin. Most URL's though are flash or other non supported video types and the URLs change too often to be used with the consistency that one would want in a PVR.

Martin
How can I add my .strm file so I can add it as an IPTV channel?
What is in your .strm file? ie, it's not going to be able to use rtmp or flv streams etc, like those used by online video streaming sides. The only type of IPTV channels it'll take are mpeg-ts streams, like those some cable companies provide for their customers to watch television via multicast UDP etc.