NextPVR Forums

Full Version: EPG not updating manually or automatic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It seemed that EPG data was not updating (I use mc2xml directed towards Microsoft). Through mc2xml support I found out that Microsoft is having server issues. Unable to use other work around, I switched to a Scehdules Direct trial following directions on wiki, got good XMLTV data, but NPVR will not update into it's TVGuide.

I have tried manually running update EPG.
I have cleared EPG then tried the update.
I have reinstalled NPVR (althought I did not remove it completely first - do I need to do this?).

Nothing seems to work.

What should I try next as I only have two days of guide information left? Can I add directly to db?

Attached are my logs and XMLTV files.
The XMLTV file from SD is not the same one from Microsoft so you would need to remap. Givent that you should remap directly to SD in NextPVR settings.

Martin
TVHelp Wrote:Microsoft is having server issues.

Very true, Vista Media Center is also affected. I have unticked "Auto Update EPG" on Misc2 to protect the mc2xml data I have.
mc2xml has an option to download from SchedulesDirect instead of Microsoft.
Looks like the Microsoft server issues are already resolved.

ElihuRozen, what is the advantage of using mc2xml rather than NPVR's native support for SchedulesDirect data?
Zeb Wrote:Looks like the Microsoft server issues are already resolved.

ElihuRozen, what is the advantage of using mc2xml rather than NPVR's native support for SchedulesDirect data?

Hi, I am not ElihuRozen, but I also use mc2xml with Schedules Direct. About 6-9 months ago when I started using NPVR, I just tried mc2xml and it worked flawlessly on the first try. I think there was either a glitch with the native support, or else some confusion on my part. But for whatever reason I am glad that I use mc2xml for everything now.

I use it on my NPVR computer for making all my recordings, and also on my laptop to troubleshoot, explore scheduling issues, explore by doing text searches on other lineups without changing anything on my NPVR machine, etc. Basically I use a second computer to do all these things instead of my NPVR machine. By using mc2xml, I maintain consistency by using the same program across the board.
Well I was able to update 5 hours ago, but now it looks like Microsoft server issues are back.
For some background and a workaround for EPG with mc2xml and the Microsoft legacy service, take a look at my posts in this thread.
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...-TCP-error

This has been working for me.
Modifying your Windows hosts file as described in this post to force access to a particular server. This has also worked or me although I've seen a higher percentage of failures than the VPN. (Post #79 in the greenbutton forum thread)
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/view...288#p80288

I'd suggest using "65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com" instead of the one in the greenbuttonforum post. It's been 100% reliable for me so far.
Zeb Wrote:ElihuRozen, what is the advantage of using mc2xml rather than NPVR's native support for SchedulesDirect data?

I run pBS's XLST transform. See http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...transforms. So, I use mc2xml to download the listings to an XML & then modify that before NPVR processes it. When I have issues from channels changes by my provider, it makes it a little easier to diagnose.
Regarding Microsoft server issues: I was able to update Vista MC a few minutes ago, so possibly the issues are resolved now.

[Edit] As of 09-26 Microsoft servers are still sporadic to say the least. I have now taken the path recommended by anothernewbie.
Pages: 1 2 3