NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Colossus IR Blaster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone else having problems with the Colossus IR Blaster - When it works its great but mine has twice now gone goodnight and the Blaster Configuration utility indicates the hardware isn't present. Last time I ended up having to run HWCLEAR and reinstall drivers - Bit of a pain as I have 4 hauppauge cards in the machine to reconfigure.

This time I noticed my STB recordings were on the wrong channel so took a look and found its not working again (And this is not a NPVR issue - Its a Hauppauge one but I figure I'll get more luck here than the Hauppauge forums) - I then also noticed my two NOVA-T-500 cards had yellow exclamation marks in device manager and were showing as "Hauppauge FW Downloader" or similar (certain on the FW Downloader bit) - Uninstalled and reinstalled them with the latest drivers and they started working again but the IR Blaster is still no go - I have a USB Blaster from a hauppauge MCE set which I might have to switch to, do they work with Haupblast.exe too or will I need third party software (Hip or something) to get it to go?

I suspect its an issue with too many dissimilar Hauppauge devices in one machine - I have 1 x colossus, 2 x Nova-T-500's and 1 x HVR-2250 - I might drop one of the NOVA-T's out as with NPVR's excellence ability to record multiple channels off the same transponder I think four physical tuners will be plenty.
The Hauppauge blasters are a bit tricky when it comes to more than one Hauppauge device on the machine, as often the blast software doesn't align to the proper device, especially if any hauppauge driver is updated after you have a working blaster. Blastcfg won't show available hardware if it's an older version. I don't have a Colossus installed, but on my HD PVR, the version is 7.3.28312. You'll want to uninstall the blaster software and reinstall from the disc for the colossus. After that, you should be able to go into blastcfg and see cable box as a device type, and be able to select a vendor. If it shows learning mode for device type or something like that, it's still an incorrect version - but you should be fine from the disc.

Hauppauge MCE blaster is a no go beyond windows xp, so you're probably not going to be able to get that working on your computer.
I have the colossus and 2250 installed. The colossus ir blaster must be the last device driver installed for it to work properly. So... run the hwclear then install all your other tv card drivers first followed by the colossus last... should work then.

Note.. if any of your other drivers are updated after the fact, the colossus ir will stop working.
I'm using WinTV 7 on Win8 64. I'm using both a 1600 (for OTA) and a Colossus. The 1600 also has the ability to use the IR Blaster, but I don't use that one. I want to use the IR blaster connected to the Colossus. To do that, I had to make a registry change.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Hauppauge\hcwTVWnd

Change the string from whatever it is to:

VCapFilter = Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0

After that, the machine uses the Colossus IR.