NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Cannot tune in to any channels?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I hadn't re-tuned my system for ages, and was running 3.2.9. (For those in NZ, I still had C4 in my channel list, which shows how out of date it was!)

So I thought I'd remove all channels and retune. But NPVR didn't detect anything.
I noticed 3.3.8 had been released, so I updated, but same problem, does not detect anything.

The tuner was working fine up until the point I removed channels. My EPG-Collector is still working fine.
I have a Hauppage 2200 dual-tuner card and using DVB-T.
Transmitter: NZ-Wgtn-Mt Kaukau.

Please help!
Nothing obvious springs to mind, but post your logs and I'll take a look.
I stopped npvr, service, cleared logs folder, started service and npvr then attempted a tune. Please find attached logs...
Your tuners are not locking on to a signal...
Code:
locked=0, present=0, strength=8, quality=0   (took 31ms to check)
If you are running XP do you need DVBFix?

Alex
Yeah my poor old PVR box is a lowly XP.... ;-)
You are not alone - so is mine... Big Grin

Alex
Errr... I have success of sorts, but I don't understand why!

I went into the EPG Collector (EPG Centre program) and noticed it has 'dump' and 'analyse transport stream' options. When I was selecting the local transmitter, I saw there was a 'Wellington - Kaukau' (690MHz) but also 'Wellington - Kaukau (After June 2012)' (562MHz). Sure, frequencies changed somewhere along the way with the analog shutdown, iirc.

So I switched back to npvr, because I know it only shows one 'Wellington (Mt KauKau)' and I thought that old 690MHz looked familiar. So I went to try the tuning again to verify if it is stuck on 690MHz (and whether there's a way to override it), but hey presto now it's using 562MHz and found 32 channels!
I cloned the settings for the second tuner.

How/why did npvr sort itself out? Was it locked in to the old frequency somehow but when I ran the EPG Collector it reset something on the tuner card?

Now to make it even weirder, I exited the EPG Collector program. Now when I go back in to npvr to try tuning again, it reverts to scanning 690MHz. (Of course it finds no channels, so I cancelled out of that screen rather than lose all my channels again!)
So to reproduce the solution above, I've started EPG Collector again and gone thru the same steps as the first time, and gone back in to npvr to test the tuning again, it is now still defaulting to 690MHz (i.e EPG Collector isn't the golden solution I thought it was).

To cut a long story short, I'm pretty happy that I have channels back, but there's something a bit wacky going on.

Sub, if you want to pursue this, let me know. Or if not I'm equally happy with that ;-)
BTW, I guess there might be a master file with all the transmitters (and their frequencies) somewhere, and it's out of date (for KauKau)? I took a quick look and couldn't spot any such thing...

Cheers
time_lord Wrote:BTW, I guess there might be a master file with all the transmitters (and their frequencies) somewhere, and it's out of date (for KauKau)? I took a quick look and couldn't spot any such thing...

Cheers
You'll find the tuning parameter files in
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NPVR\Tuning\DVB-T\
The current version for Mt KauKau is correct...

As far as the 690MHz problem is concerned maybe try searching C:\Documents and Settings\ for files with KauKau in the name - maybe you have a spurious tuning file somewhere?

Alex
Its been at least two years since I ran XP on the server but from what I remember I had to remove DVBfix if I wanted to do a channel scan then afterwards re apply DVBfix so it didn't crash running multiple tuners.

Chris
Huh, well I'll be damned! in the Tuning\DVB-T folder I have a "Copy of New Zealand - Wellington (Mt KauKau).ini" (dated 2011) which contains the old settings. I guess at some stage I was trying to get different frequencies going and I never deleted the original.
Seems like npvr picks up that file and loads those settings first (since it comes first alphabetically). Just doesn't explain why it found the correct file/settings after I'd been looking at the EPG Collector. Just coincidence and luck I guess!
But never mind, all good now, thanks for the suggestions people!
Pages: 1 2