NextPVR Forums

Full Version: No Video/Audio with 3.3.8 and HDHomeRun Prime...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apologies in advance for what I am sure is a machine specific issue. Installed NPVR with HDHomeRun Prime. Here's what works:

1. VLC can stream from the HDHomeRun Prime directly.
2. XBMC can stream from HDHomeRun Prime directly.
3. NPVR can find the HDHomeRun prime, and scan all the channels successfully.
4. I have followed all instructions on the support page stick notes, including installing DirectX etc.
5. I have tried SAF decoders and Windows 8 Codec Pack

No matter what I try, I always get black video and no audio.

I tried using the XBMC NPVR add-on. The add-on can successfully query the channels, but when I pick any channel to watch, it ends up failing with "Tuner no longer available", and I have to kill XBMC.

Windows 8.1 Pro, NVidia video card.

NPVR Log files are attached.
If you're live tv buffer files are staying at zero bytes, then you might need to add a firewall exclusion for NRecord.exe. You could temporarily try it with your firewall disabled to see if it helps.
The firewall fix did it - thank you! I have been stuggling with it for 2+ days, installing/uninstalling various versions of decoders/npvr and reading support forum. What a relief!

I can't get NPVR to use H264 - it always uses MPEG2. In another thread, someone mentioned that if you set the app type in HDHomeRun to NextPVR, it uses H264, and if you set HDHomeRun to Other:ATSC/QAM, it uses MPEG2. In my case, it always just uses MPEG2, and I don't see a way to switch it. I ask because NPVR viewer client is a little jittery in HD. But, XBMC add-on is much smoother, even in HD.

Also, in the Decoder section, if I select a decoder for MPEG1 and AC3, I get good sound for about 2 seconds, then it turns off. If I disable MPEG1, the sound stays on but is extremely jittery. I have the SAF drivers installed, so I only seem to have LAV as a choice for the decoders.

In any case, awesome - thank you again!
somil Wrote:I can't get NPVR to use H264 - it always uses MPEG2. In another thread, someone mentioned that if you set the app type in HDHomeRun to NextPVR, it uses H264, and if you set HDHomeRun to Other:ATSC/QAM, it uses MPEG2. In my case, it always just uses MPEG2, and I don't see a way to switch it. I ask because NPVR viewer client is a little jittery in HD. But, XBMC add-on is much smoother, even in HD.

Also, in the Decoder section, if I select a decoder for MPEG1 and AC3, I get good sound for about 2 seconds, then it turns off. If I disable MPEG1, the sound stays on but is extremely jittery. I have the SAF drivers installed, so I only seem to have LAV as a choice for the decoders.

In any case, awesome - thank you again!

The Prime doesn't do transcoding just the HDTC.

Martin
somil Wrote:I have the SAF drivers installed, so I only seem to have LAV as a choice for the decoders.

The LAV audio decoder should be fine for AC3 (which should be the only audio format the Prime is receiving), but the video decoder isn't that good. You could send a private forum message to Hoborg requesting SAF "unlocked," which would give you a better video decoder; or I seem to recall reading that Microsoft's decoder can be used with 8.1 (as it could with Win7 but not 8.0). If you plan to do virtually all viewing in XBMC, then the quality of decoders available for viewing in NPVR is perhaps not very important.

Regarding H.264, I think FiOS is one of the very few U.S. providers that uses it, but only for certain premium channels.