NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Missing Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Running Npvr on a Win 8.1 machine---recording is perfect so far. Live TV however is missing the MS decoder although ArcSoft and MainConcept MPEG-2 decoders are present.

How do I add or find the MS decoder and add it?

TIA
On Windows 8, Microsoft have made the 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder' is only usable for MPEG-2 in Microsoft applications, not third party apps.
Thanks Sub----I'll try another avenue---lovin' the Npvr so far though......!Smile
if you've not already, check the getting started/tech support sticky and find the section about decoders; that will lead you to hoborg's SAF6.
It seems the supplied ArcSoft and MainConcept decoders already part of this build work just fine as supplied. I had to only reboot the machine before they took effect.

Thanks for the help----it did prompt me to look into things a bit more and stumble on the solution.
Actually those decoders were probably supplied by Hauppauge WinTV7, NPVR does not include any decoders.
That's interesting Zeb----I'm learning more each day! Smile
I too ran into this problem on Windows 8.1. I tried a number of different codecs but the best one by far was LAV Filters Cool
The problem with LAV video decoder is that the skip (forward and backward) function will be very prone to errors when used with NextPVR. This is because Sub uses the Microsoft Demuxer for ts files. The two do not play well with one another. If you do not plan on using the skip function then, for the most part, LAV will be fine. My experience has been, that the faster the CPU, the less problems you will have with LAV and NextPVR.