NextPVR Forums

Full Version: cannot cancel a recurring recording
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I was first setting up nextPVR a few month ago, I told it to record all episodes of the "Tonight Show" as a test. That was when I was first setting things up and trying to get everything to work. I had to remove the channels and epg info and set that up again, and stuff like that. Basically, I had to go through the setup process a few times to get everything working correctly. Apparently that got something confused in the scheduled recordings.

I can not get rid of the Tonight Show scheduled recording. As it downloads a TVGuide update and decides to record additional episodes, I can cancel the recording of those individual episodes. But I cannot get rid of the recurring schedule. I can tell it to cancel the recurring record, but it still does.

I have tried creating a new scheduled recording of the show, and setting the new one to keep only one episode. I could ignore its insistence on recording the show, if it would at least delete them. But that doesn't seem to work either. It always records all episodes of this show, and it keeps all episodes. I have to manual delete every episode. (and on a daily show, that gets annoying).

If I go to the list of "Recurring Recordings", the Tonight Show is not listed there. On the "Pending Recordings" each upcoming episode is listed. I can cancel them individually there too, but more will be added when more days show up in the TV guide.

Other scheduling appears to work correctly. I can create and delete scheduled recordings for other shows, and have it keep just a show or two if desired. The only show having this problem is the Tonight Show. It was the show I tried to schedule as a test while setting things up, I'm guessing that is related. But I don't remember all the setup things I played with since then.

Any ideas? Like, is there a back door way to clean this up? (editing the xml config files?)
I can't see how it would not show up in the Recurring Recordings list. If you can post you logs, I'll see if there is any unexpected errors listed.
You could use a tool like SQLite Manager (addon for Mozilla Firefox) and locate the recording in its table, then delete it. Make a backup of npvr.db3 first!!
sub Wrote:I can't see how it would not show up in the Recurring Recordings list. If you can post you logs, I'll see if there is any unexpected errors listed.

Ok, so I checked again, and Tonight Show showed up 3 times in the recurring recordings list. A few other shows were listed multiple times too. I deleted all listings for the Tonight Show, and duplicates for other shows. I'm sure I've deleted from there before, and had it come back. I'll report back whether or not it shows back up again (I'll be surprised if it doesn't).

Reddwarf Wrote:You could use a tool like SQLite Manager (addon for Mozilla Firefox) and locate the recording in its table, then delete it. Make a backup of npvr.db3 first!!

Good to know.
Hey, ksjoe,... I have exactly the same problem that you reported, and like you, I deleted most of the duplicates, but cannot resolve this. These came about due to multiple attempts to record programs, with many of them failing. I don't know the logic, but I assume that the requests are considered complete, and therefore are archived in the history, thereby indicating that any new requests have already completed.

I wonder if I should just replace the npvr.db3 and rebuild - or should I try SQLite to clean up the DB. Any thoughts you have are appreciated.
Are you using Schedules Direct? Alternate sources might not have good unique ids.

Martin
mvallevand,

No, not using SD yet, but I will be soon. Initially, I thought I'd use zap2it while testing, and that has gone well. The EPG data used included the appropriate channels. I believe that my problems were caused by failures in the code, due to a mixture of code from two different versions, which I've resolved now.
Lone_Stranger Wrote:Hey, ksjoe,... I have exactly the same problem that you reported, and like you, I deleted most of the duplicates, but cannot resolve this. These came about due to multiple attempts to record programs, with many of them failing. I don't know the logic, but I assume that the requests are considered complete, and therefore are archived in the history, thereby indicating that any new requests have already completed.

I wonder if I should just replace the npvr.db3 and rebuild - or should I try SQLite to clean up the DB. Any thoughts you have are appreciated.

I thought I had replied to this thread explaining what was going on - looks like I didn't.

So... I'm embarrassed to admit, it was entirely my fault. I was not properly navigating through the recurring recurring recordings to delete the request.

Note that you can schedule a recurring recording for the same show multiple times. So if you did that, you may need to scroll through all of the recurring recording list, and make sure you get all of them deleted.
I know that I scheduled the same recurring recording multiple times, so I assume that I've duplicated your issue. Right now, though, I just need to clean up the database. Currently, I cannot request a new recurring item, as it ignores my request. I don't know if I should use SQLite and attempt repair, or just reinstall/rebuild from scratch.
@Lone_Stranger:
there's never been a bug that anyone has seen that would prevent you from seeing your recurring recordings in the Recurring Recordings list, nor that would prevent you from canceling one, any or all of them. Every time someone has reported something like this, it's always turned out he was looking at the Pending list instead, or trying to cancel a recurring recording from the TV guide or something along those lines. I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but this part of the program has worked essentially perfectly since the first beta release of npvr 5 years ago.