NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Removing commericals - tools to cut segments form h.264 files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Planning on revisiting my use of comskip. I've got the donator version so that's all good. But the cutting part of the equation seems to be the too hard basket for a lot of people.

There's talk of using videoredo - but as far as I can tell that doesn't have a command line interface and may require using a batch project file.

AVIDemux can do commercial cutting, but seems to need to do it graphically, and ffmpeg, the other logical choice looks like it needs to split each segment up then combine them back together.

Does anyone have something automated, that will chop up a video - doesn't necessarily need to convert it removing the ads based on some sort of cut file?

I know a lot of us moved on from doing this as skipping go so easy to use. I'm finding now using nextpvrweb on samsung, my own plex channel, and it's safer to not attempt any skipping at all as you get really unpredictable results. So would like to look at physically removing ads.
Quote:There's talk of using videoredo - but as far as I can tell that doesn't have a command line interface and may require using a batch project file.

VideoRedo does have a batch mode, however it does need a project file and cut file, both of which ComSkip generates with the proper flags. In postprocessing, I mark all the commercials and create the VideoRedo files (via Comskip), then place the filename in a queue file.

Once a day (or every couple days), I run a batch cmd script that runs thru the queue, allows me to visually edit the commercial cuts via VideoRedo UI, then runs thru the queue again to removes all the commercials. It takes maybe 1-3 minutes to visually inspect each file to verify the cuts are in the right place (depends on how good Comskip marked the commercials), then approx 1 minute per file for VideoRedo to remove the commercials (in batch mode via a vbscript call) and clean up the residual files.

Attached is the script that processes the queue file and runs VideoRedo (among other things).
JavaWiz Wrote:VideoRedo does have a batch mode, however it does need a project file and cut file, both of which ComSkip generates with the proper flags. In postprocessing, I mark all the commercials and create the VideoRedo files (via Comskip), then place the filename in a queue file.

Once a day (or every couple days), I run a batch cmd script that runs thru the queue, allows me to visually edit the commercial cuts via VideoRedo UI, then runs thru the queue again to removes all the commercials. It takes maybe 1-3 minutes to visually inspect each file to verify the cuts are in the right place (depends on how good Comskip marked the commercials), then approx 1 minute per file for VideoRedo to remove the commercials (in batch mode via a vbscript call) and clean up the residual files.

Attached is the script that processes the queue file and runs VideoRedo (among other things).

Does it run with no interaction? I run virtualised, and so connect to machines via rdp - and running a trial of videoredo it complained bitterly at me about not being able to run the video.
Quote:Does it run with no interaction? I run virtualised, and so connect to machines via rdp - and running a trial of videoredo it complained bitterly at me about not being able to run the video.
Yes, if you are comfortable with Comskip's mark points, you can run Video Redo in batch mode with the following command:

Code:
SET videoRedoVBS="C:/Program Files/VideoReDoPlus/vp.vbs"  
cscript //nologo %videoRedoVBS% "%~dpn1.VPrj" "%~dpn1_clean%~x1" /t4 /q
Where
"%~dpn1.VPrj - is the project file that Comskip generated
"%~dpn1_clean%~x1" is the resulting file that has the commercials removed.

Per the VideoRedo vbs instructions:
:: cscript vb.vps <source file/project> <destination file/project> [/t#] [/d] [/q]" )
:: /t1 = Output program stream. /t2 = Elementary stream, /t3 = VOB with blank NAV" /t4 - transport stream)
:: /d = Delete batch project file after processing (only if file is *.bprj).")
:: /na = Disable audio alert, overrides default.")
:: /q = Run in Quiet mode.")

I should note, I've recently found a minor inconvienince between Comskip and VideoRedo. Any file with an '&' in the file name, needs a manual edit to the.vprj file to replace with &amp;. The authors of the two programs disagree as to who needs to make a change to resolve the conflict Smile . Luckily, this has happened very rarely in the programs I record, and I could write a routine in the cmd script I have to do it automatically if it becomes a 'real' problem for me.
Mcebuddy can monitor folders use it for my sons cartoons to go on his portable dvd player.
Apparently its not the best but for me its simple
old thread, but same problem. trying to setup automatic commercial removal,l would like comskip to execute in parallelprocessing to speed things up, then once the recordings are done for them to automatically be cut. i dont care if the file is reencoded into a different format. this is for 1 or 2 shows i still watch, if the commericals get messed up ill just watch it on demand or something, so dont care if comskip stuffs up a little (but its been good to me in the past).

need to do h264 files, wanting something free, dont want to spend $40-50 on this if i could just watch it by other means for free.

anyone know of a tool to do it?