NextPVR Forums

Full Version: PC goes into sleep whilst recording
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I went to watch the Austrian GP yesterday and found I only had 4mins of it! Obviously some what peeved, I checked the event logs and noticed the PC went into sleep from panel or lid action button action.

I did a quick test, recorded a prog and then pressed the power button on the PC, the PC goes into sleep and shuts off the recording!

Never had this with MCE, I use a Harmony remote which will put the PC into sleep if I switch tasks. Any ideas?

James
m0bov Wrote:Any ideas?

I suspect that this is by design. NextPVR may be assuming that you want the computer to go to sleep if you tell the computer to go to sleep by pressing the power button. It may be a a good example of a philosophical differences between NextPVR and Microsoft. NextPVR assumes that you know best and leaves you in control of your own computer. Microsoft assumes that they know best and takes away your control of your own computer. Smile Smile

Edit: NextPVR will keep the computer awake if it stands idle for longer than the sleep timeout.
Ok that's fine. Thanks for the info.
I've used a small utility called AwayModeActive.exe which was written by PBS for about 4 years which stops the computer going to sleep when you press the power button on the remote and probably the case as well. Unfortunately it has fallen off the forum due to age. I'll post a copy when I get home.

You just get it to start with Windows, It then sits in the notification area and when there is a recording in progress - if you try to shut down the computer it blanks the screen and enters awaymode allowing the recording to finish. The computer will then sleep after the set time in Windows power options.

Idiot Proof and good WAF (The 2 are definitely not linked - honest)
Sounds good to me, maybe it should be in NextPVR to stay awake. Will try it once the link is up and I'm home. Thanks.
Quote:I did a quick test, recorded a prog and then pressed the power button on the PC, the PC goes into sleep and shuts off the recording!
NextPVR's not playing any part in this. It doesn't attempt to stop you manually shutting down your PC.

It actively tells the machine it's still using the system while recording (so it wont go to sleep by itself). It also tells windows to ensure it's aware are the start of each recording, to ensure it can start them.
I never manually put the computer to sleep. It always goes to sleep via the timer.

In the power settings you can tell windows to do nothing when the power button is pressed. The cool thing is that the power button can still wake the computer from sleep/hibernate because that's not a software thing.
Lao Pan Wrote:I've used a small utility called AwayModeActive.exe which was written by PBS for about 4 years which stops the computer going to sleep when you press the power button on the remote and probably the case as well. Unfortunately it has fallen off the forum due to age. I'll post a copy when I get home.

You just get it to start with Windows, It then sits in the notification area and when there is a recording in progress - if you try to shut down the computer it blanks the screen and enters awaymode allowing the recording to finish. The computer will then sleep after the set time in Windows power options.

Here it is attached - I put it in the Users/Public/NPVR/Plugins folder with a shortcut in the start menu /start-up folder - works completely automatically
sub Wrote:NextPVR's not playing any part in this. It doesn't attempt to stop you manually shutting down your PC.

It actively tells the machine it's still using the system while recording (so it wont go to sleep by itself). It also tells windows to ensure it's aware are the start of each recording, to ensure it can start them.

I thought NTray would block sleep during recordings?

Martin
It does attempt to stop a full shutdown, but can't block standby/hibernate.
Pages: 1 2