NextPVR Forums

Full Version: How to Watch Recorded DVR on PC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All I want to do is capture a recorded segment from a DVR on my Windows 7 laptop. I am using an Angel USB TV Tuner. I used to do this with Sonic DVD, but that laptop died.

I installed NextPVR and SoftPVR and modified the xml file. NPVR can see the Angel device:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Now what? How do I set up the device?

I tried to scan for channels, but it did not show any after a few minutes of scanning 158 channels.

My goal is to display what is playing on my TV from the DVR on my PC. Then I can capture the video.

Please forgive me if this question is too vague. Thank you,

Humberto
barretoh Wrote:Please forgive me if this question is too vague.

A tad ambiguous, perhaps. Do you want to record broadcast TV on the computer and then playback the recordings on the computer? Or, do you want to record broadcast TV on some other device and then playback the recordings on the computer?

Is this the device ... http://www.lumanate.com/aspx/sptangelusb.aspx ... What is plugged into the tuner to provide the "TV" signal?

It may be that you are using "composite" to receive a signal from an external DVR ... http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...etupDialog
scanning won't work, you need to manually add a single channel with the source set to however the signal is being supplied by the DVR. That is, if it's coax it's probably channel 3, or if you've connected composite or s-video cables you can select those connections. once you have the channel setup, if you go to Live TV, it will show whatever is coming in from that channel (don't forget to select an MPEG-2 video decoder and an MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio decoder on the decoders screen).

that said, if capturing video from your DVR is the only thing you want to do, you're not planning to also record broadcast TV or use any of NextPVR's other functions, you might find a program like Capture4Me more convenient: http://www.capture4me.com/
I want to record broadcast TV and then capture it on my computer.

Yes, that is the device. Here is a photo:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

IN the next reply, Capture4Me is suggested. I think I will attempt that first, although I still can't get it to work so I might return to NPVR.

Thank you.
I'm following up with Capture4Me. I downloaded and installed it.

It only shows IPTV device. Capture4Me web page said:

"Analog: Capture4ME is compatible with Hauppauge analog devices, (*) but only if the Hauppauge WinTV v7 application is installed first."

For NPVR, I modified the xml page so I did not install WinTV. Is there a similar option for Capture4Me or should I just install the WinTV?

I'm at a fork, pursue NPVR or go with Capture4Me. I like the latter because it sounds easier and all I want is to capture what's playing from the DirecTV (Genie) DVR (usually for just a couple of minutes for a class presentation -- I'm an Econ prof). I'm not wedded to Angel, but it seems like I'm pretty close with it. If you can think of other options, please let me know.

Thank you again for any help and advice you can give me.
barretoh Wrote:It only shows IPTV device.

I have just tried Capture4me with a non-Hauppauge analogue device and it seems to work okay.

You will need the SoftPVR component of WinTV installed in the same way as for NextPVR.

When you select the Angel device in Capture4me you should be able to select composite as the video input and see the video in the Capture4me preview screen.
Thank you for the helpful reply. I will do this, but . . .

Could you please elaborate on "in the same way"?

I do not understand the concept of SoftPVR and I mindlessly followed instructions and eventually got it to work in NPVR, so if it's not too much trouble, would you give me a few steps to follow?

Thanks again,

Humberto
I've not personally used Capture4me, but I suspect you will find a similar AnalogDevices.xml somewhere in it's configuration. Adding the same entry that you added for NextPVR should bring you to the promised land.

(The softpvr install you did for nextpvr will cover capture4me too... It actually just installs and registers some filters with windows, which other apps can then use)
I added the code to the xml and the Angel device showed up and I captured the video! Yay!!!

MovieMaker can't read that .ts file (or even .mp4, which I exported), but I have Sony Movie Studio and it can!

This is exactly what I wanted so I paid my $20 and bought it. But . . . (sigh)

When I fast forward or use the TV remote, I get this:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

So, I followed the instructions and yes, 'tis true, if you hold down the Exit button on the remote, it goes to standard def.

"So, touchdown (said as if American), enjoy life." Not so fast.

Now Capture4Me video is pixillated and half of it is not displayed.

I reset the TV to HD and Capture4Me started working well again, but with the irritating error message in the screenshot above.

I would prefer to have HD always on my TV (for I am old and remembering all of these goofy shortcuts gets harder) and to somehow make the nag screen error message disappear permanently. Any chance I get that wish? If not, what are my options? The nag screen is a deal breaker -- I fast forward a lot because I put together small clips from various sources.

Thank you again very much for all of your replies and help. Best,

Humberto
barretoh Wrote:When I fast forward or use the TV remote, I get this:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

So, I followed the instructions and yes, 'tis true, if you hold down the Exit button on the remote, it goes to standard def.
Odd. I've never seen a set top box do that.

Regardless, you were never getting HD over that composite cable anyway. It was always standard definition. That message relates to HDMI or Component Video connections, which you're not using to connect to your capture device.

Quote:Now Capture4Me video is pixillated and half of it is not displayed.
What do you mean? Can you post a screenshot, or some how give an indication of what you're not getting?

Quote:I would prefer to have HD always on my TV (for I am old and remembering all of these goofy shortcuts gets harder) and to somehow make the nag screen error message disappear permanently. Any chance I get that wish? If not, what are my options?
This is your set top box doing this, not Capture4ME. You'd need to look in settings for that device, or ask whoever supplied you the box.
Pages: 1 2