NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Where do I find EPG addon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm new to NextPVR and upon visiting the forums to find out why my "Program Guide" is empty, I discovered I need to install an "Add On". But nowhere am I finding a link to download any add ons, and Google turns up only a single Wiki entry to an add on called "Kodi" that has nothing to do with the EPS.

Is there a list of d/l links to compatible Add-ons for NextPVR? If it's built in, I'm not seeing it. Sad

Thx.
Welcome!

you don't necessarily need any add-on to create an EPG.
I think that many/most users in the US subscribe to schedules direct to download their EPG from within NextPVR. this wiki page should give you a few pointers

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...ulesDirect

if you want to hack around and do it for free , you can do it this way

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?....EPGMC2XML

this post may help some more
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...ght=mc2xml
be aware that the wiki instructions for schedules direct no longer apply to current versions of NextPVR. You only need to setup an account, don't bother setting up a lineup at the website, it won't be used in NextPVR. NextPVR manages the lineups directly.

When you first select Schedules Direct for one of your channels, you'll need to hit the dropdown for "Lineup:" and select "Manage Lineups". There you will enter your SD login info, and add lineups to your lineup list based on your zipcode. Once you've added the lineup(s) you need, you close the Schedules Direct Lineups window and then you will be able to map your first channel. After that NextPVR will ask if you want it to try auto-mapping the rest of your channels; let it try, I think it will do a pretty good job these days.
Major thanks! I'll let you know the result.
johnsonx42 Wrote:be aware that the wiki instructions for schedules direct no longer apply to current versions of NextPVR. You only need to setup an account

Crud, something wrong. I'm trying to go the "free" route. Sad

I was able to create the xml file containing the listings, and I placed the xml file in the proper folder ("C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts" for Win7), but from there, nothing goes as it should. Sad

The instructions say to go into Settings | Devices and click "Import". But that's to import tuner frequencies, not TV listings, and I get a message telling me so. All my devices are already working and my stations scanned, so I really don't need to change anything here.

Next, the instructions say to go to the "Channels" setting and click "Update EPG". But doing so works the same as before: a 50 second countdown before crashing after a long pause at 1 second left. Nothing is ever imported, nor am I asked to select a file for import.

Going back to the NextPVR interface and clicking "TV Listings", it is still empty. I verified my "TVGUIDE.xml" file does indeed contain the listings. It just isn't importing.

Since I'm using the free app, your instructions to "setup an account" (schedulesdirect.org/signup) don't apply. I'm stuck. Sad
Honestly, it's completely work the $25 a year for the guide data and easy integration. If you spend two or three days getting a free solution to work and then have to troubleshoot it every couple of months, then you've "spent" more than the $25.
Mugsy323 Wrote:Crud, something wrong. I'm trying to go the "free" route. Sad

I was able to create the xml file containing the listings, and I placed the xml file in the proper folder ("C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts" for Win7), but from there, nothing goes as it should. Sad

The instructions say to go into Settings | Devices and click "Import". But that's to import tuner frequencies, not TV listings, and I get a message telling me so. All my devices are already working and my stations scanned, so I really don't need to change anything here.

Next, the instructions say to go to the "Channels" setting and click "Update EPG". But doing so works the same as before: a 50 second countdown before crashing after a long pause at 1 second left. Nothing is ever imported, nor am I asked to select a file for import.

Going back to the NextPVR interface and clicking "TV Listings", it is still empty. I verified my "TVGUIDE.xml" file does indeed contain the listings. It just isn't importing.

Since I'm using the free app, your instructions to "setup an account" (schedulesdirect.org/signup) don't apply. I'm stuck. Sad
Those instructions are for analog tuners. Digital tuners work differently. (I know it's presented as a guide on MC2XML, not for any particular tuner type, but the person writing it was using an analog tuner and he posted his steps)

In Settings->Devices, select your tuner and click Device Setup, then Scan: http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...etupDialog

Then map the scanned channels to the XMLTV data: http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...TVEPG#toc2
pkscout Wrote:Honestly, it's completely work the $25 a year for the guide data and easy integration. If you spend two or three days getting a free solution to work and then have to troubleshoot it every couple of months, then you've "spent" more than the $25.

If it takes "two or threes days" to get this to work, someone needs to write some updated instructions. Did the people selling the $25 subscription service write the bad instructions just so people would give up & subscribe?

Once I have the thing working, I'm skilled enough where I shouldn't have to "troubleshoot it every couple of months" unless it's an unavoidable limitation of the free option.
johnsonx42 Wrote:Those instructions are for analog tuners. Digital tuners work differently. (I know it's presented as a guide on MC2XML, not for any particular tuner type, but the person writing it was using an analog tuner and he posted his steps)

In Settings->Devices, select your tuner and click Device Setup, then Scan: http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...etupDialog

Then map the scanned channels to the XMLTV data: http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...TVEPG#toc2

Is it necessary to rescan for channels when I already have my tuner scanned and my favorites specified to a list?

I have over 60 channels scanned. Is there a way to switch them all to from "DVB" to "XMLTV" quickly rather than 1 by 1?

FOLLOW UP: Okay, I have my listings working. Thanks. A few notes though. If you use the "Bulk Settings" button, you can change the EPS source more quickly (still one at a time though), but the changes aren't saved upon exit. Also, it claims to map every channel to the same station after changing the source (bug?) And there should be a way to change the EPS source for ALL channels at once. It is unlikely users will have a different EPS source for every channel.

FOLLOW UP 2: The EPG listings created by "mc2xml" for "terrestrial" stations doesn't work if you create your own lineup (excluding unwanted stations from your list of channels). It continues to map stations sequentially without regard for skips. Sad I'm currently looking into other EPG xml options.
Mugsy323 Wrote:FOLLOW UP 2: The EPG listings created by "mc2xml" for "terrestrial" stations doesn't work if you create your own lineup (excluding unwanted stations from your list of channels). It continues to map stations sequentially without regard for skips. Sad I'm currently looking into other EPG xml options.

You can create two files
mc2xml.chl to skip unwanted channel
Code:
-33-37
-42-44
-46-51
-53-58
mc2xml.ren to rename channel
Code:
31:10
32:12
38:15
40:2
41:6
45:17
52:35
59:62

from time to time you need to update these files when the channel listing change