NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Old DVR-MS format on Win 8.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,
I recently updated to Win8.1. mostly things are working ok. However, I had a bunch of very old recordings (kids stuff mostly) that was in the old DVR-MS format from way back. These no longer play in nPVR. it just instantly cancels out when trying to play the file.

Is there a fundamental change in Windows 8.1? I can play the files in media player classic. They also play in VLC but with poor decoding results.
My feeling is that this is probably some sort of codec issue?

Cheers
Have you tried klite codec pack just make sure you dont install the search bars etc when you install
Yeah, I have that codec pack installed. I tested also with Kodi installed on the same machine and it plays them just fine.
So other players will play the files normally on the same machines. The only exception is VLC, which plays it, but the decoding is a bit screwed up for some unknown reason.
So still not sure which way to jump.

stustunz Wrote:Have you tried klite codec pack just make sure you dont install the search bars etc when you install
jdvuyk Wrote:So still not sure which way to jump.

Many of us use SAF ... http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...post414049

Send Hoburg a forum private message and ask for the "unlocked" version ... I can't promise that the codecs in SAF will still play dvr-ms but I will be surprised if they don't. Plus, I dunno what's in klite so you may already have the decoders that are in SAF.
There are a ton of free programs that will convert them to almost anything you want. Freemake Video Converter is fast and pretty good. But watch when you install it or it will install junkware....just uncheck the boxes in each window.