NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Question regarding sleep behavior on server.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have recently discovered that if a show is scheduled to be recorded from a client, the server will not enter sleep mode as long as that recording is pending.

In this situation, "powercfg -requests" on the server shows that an active file is open from a client machine - even if that client machine is off-line. If the recording is canceled, then the power request is cleared and the server will enter sleep at the desired time.

The question is: Is this normal behavior? and if so, is there a way to prevent this particular power request from going active on the server, thereby allowing the server to sleep until the time of the pending recording occurs?

Thanks in advance, 2L
I do all my scheduling from clients (NextPVR or x-newa) and I don't see this, but I let me server sleep on disk activity.

Martin
Update: It seems that whenever the client PC is running NPVR, a file share lock is occurring preventing the server from going to sleep. If I terminate the client's NPVR program, the lock is lifted and the server sleeps as scheduled. My issue is that I have been putting the client to sleep when not in use while NPVR is active on it. By doing that, the npvr server still thinks that the npvr client is connected to the server and consequently, the server is not going to sleep itself.

Martin, if after I schedule a recording on a client, then terminate NPVR on the client, the server goes to sleep as expected, but if I leave the client's NPVR on while the PC is sleeping or awake, the server doesn't go to sleep.

I suppose the server is waiting for a signal from the client that doesn't happen if the client goes to sleep while NPVR is still running.

Is there a way that the server times out if no communication with server after a set period of time?
i use this, or rather a variation on this, to allow sleep more normally...
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/498...opens.html
and have never had server go to sleep when it shouldn't...Smile

[i use this which sets setting above for all default power schemes:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\d4c1d4c8-d5cc-43d3-b83e-fc51215cb04d]
"Attributes"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\d4c1d4c8-d5cc-43d3-b83e-fc51215cb04d\DefaultPowerSchemeValues\381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e]
"ACSettingIndex"=dword:00000001
"DCSettingIndex"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\d4c1d4c8-d5cc-43d3-b83e-fc51215cb04d\DefaultPowerSchemeValues\8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\d4c1d4c8-d5cc-43d3-b83e-fc51215cb04d\DefaultPowerSchemeValues\a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a]
not sure if it works on win10 tho...
pBS,

thanks for the suggestion, I tried it on my server (Win7), the keys installed into the registry and the power scheme now shows the option under sleep. I set both AC & battery settings to ON, but server refuses to sleep. The message in powercfg -requests is: "an active remote client has files opened on this machine" However when I view the open shares window using fsmgmt.msc, there is nothing shared. This leads me to think the NPVR has something going on in background.
forgot to mention you have to reboot to activate it...
also, if npvr interface is open on server it will show same thing for some crazy reason...so must shut down server ui also for sleep...[which makes no sense to me]
and also wait about 5-10 mins for the open to 'clear'...
pBS Wrote:also, if npvr interface is open on server it will show same thing for some crazy reason...so must shut down server ui also for sleep...[which makes no sense to me]

Not here, sleep works just fine with NextPVR UI running.

Martin
pBS Wrote:forgot to mention you have to reboot to activate it...

mucho gracious! that did the trick. Twice now you bailed me out of my dilemma, thanks. What else can you do? I suffered a Achilles tendon injury from my morning jog - any suggestions ? lol

I still think that NPVR should handle this better, but I am good for now with this fix (minus my achilles).

UI not a problem here since I have a display-less server - VNC for me.

2L
i bet it's because i had a net path somewhere i shouldn't...but can't seem to find it..[server ui issue]

and it's not npvr that's doing it, it's windows [or dotnet]...xp didn't have this problem with net connects..