NextPVR Forums

Full Version: starting live tv on server stopped live tv on client
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have no idea if this has anything at all to do with 3.5.7, I don't use my client much, and almost never for live tv so I really can't say this wouldn't have happened exactly the same a month ago...

Early this afternoon I started watching the little league world series USA championship game on my client (Win 10 pro running 3.5.7 client). It ran for quite some time without incident, an hour at least

Around 2:05pm I needed to make some lunch for the kids so I went out to the living room and started live tv on the main tv (win 7 pro running 3.5.7 server); I left the client running live tv as well.

At his point several weird things happened:
- Live TV took quite awhile to start on the server, seemed like it was about 10 seconds
- Live TV started on channel 2.2, not channel 2 like it should have
- I typed 7 and hit ok to change to channel 7 - it changed to 7.2 instead
- I pressed ch-up once to move to channel 7 and it skipped to channel 5.3
(in short, I could access only subchannels this way, not regular channels)
- I finally pressed F1 to bring up the guide and selected channel 7 from there, it then switched to the LLWS as expected

Later on returning to my client PC I found it sitting at the false "the tuner you were using was required for a recording" message; there was a recording running, but it had started already at 1pm and had moved to a different tuner anyway. Looking at the logs now it's clear Live TV died on the client at the exact same time I was starting it on the server.

Yes, all channels exist on all tuners (except Disney which has it's own tuner, but that's not in play here).

Logs from client and server attached.

Note that the clock on the client is almost exactly 15 seconds ahead of the server, so bear that in mind if you compare timestamps in the logs.
I just attempted to reproduce this problem on purpose, and could only reproduce part of it. I couldn't make Live TV die again on the client by starting it on the server despite 3 attempts (including having a recording running on the second tuner).

However, the channel changing problem was consistent and repeatable, and I was able to reproduce it without involving a client.

In short, if I have a recording running on any tuner, then live tv will act as if only certain channels are available even though it's using a different tuner that has access to all channels; sometimes it displayed the "Reduced Channel List" message, but not always.

Here is the list of my first 18 channels, with * next to those that are available when in this "Reduced Channel" mode:

2.2*
4 (this is the channel the recording was on, and it wouldn't even let me have this one for live tv!)
4.2*
5.3*
7.2*
9*
11.2*
13.3*
17*
28.2*

So you can see it tunes only to the highest numbered sub-channel for any given primary channel number, UNLESS there are no sub-channels at all (only 9 & 17). I can always use the full TV guide to get to any channel, but ch+/ch-, direct entry, and the up/down arrows (quick guide) only allow the limited channel set. Here's a screenshot of the quick guide:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

(I do of course realize that this channel changing problem is completely separate from and unrelated to whatever caused my live tv issue above, I just happened to discover both at the same time)
johnsonx42 Wrote:In short, if I have a recording running on any tuner, then live tv will act as if only certain channels are available even though it's using a different tuner that has access to all channels; sometimes it displayed the "Reduced Channel List" message, but not always.

Here is the list of my first 18 channels, with * next to those that are available when in this "Reduced Channel" mode:

2.2*
4 (this is the channel the recording was on, and it wouldn't even let me have this one for live tv!)
4.2*
5.3*
7.2*
9*
11.2*
13.3*
17*
28.2*

So you can see it tunes only to the highest numbered sub-channel for any given primary channel number, UNLESS there are no sub-channels at all (only 9 & 17). I can always use the full TV guide to get to any channel, but ch+/ch-, direct entry, and the up/down arrows (quick guide) only allow the limited channel set. Here's a screenshot of the quick guide:
Its the first time I looked at this code in a very long time, and I'm only managing to confuse myself. I might need to see your database.
sent
Can you see if this fixes it? I think it's only part of the problem in scenario though.
No change.
funny bit, my daughter was watching a show, so I asked if she minded if I take over the TV for a minute and test something. She said ok, and sat there watching...

so I went in with tightvnc, really quick shut down the program and service, copied in the patch, went back in, started a recording on channel 4, then hit LiveTV... didn't even notice what was on... turns out it started on channel 4.2 showing Miami Vice, a sex scene with 80's sex scene music, and I hear my daughter shout "DADDY, I'm in here you know! I'm seeing that with my little eyes!!!"
can this be revisited again? the improperly reduced channel list I mean, from post #2 which you tried to patch before, not the problem in the title.
Ok. I'll try to take another look tomorrow.
thanks... despite my frequent claim that I just don't watch live tv much, I've found myself doing so a little more often lately, and bumping into that bug.