NextPVR Forums

Full Version: (Very) slow channel change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have very slow channel change (almost stalling sometimes 20-25 secs).
Windows 10 x64, but the problem as the same also on win 8.1.
I made a new install, scanned for channels and switched three/four channels.
With other software channel change (with the same stations) is almost instant (1-2 secs).
Here are my logs.
Can someone take a look at them please?
Thank you
try a different video decoder... some of them just don't react well to stream changes like that
I've got the same problem. I'm new to NPVR coming over from WMC. I just did a fresh install on Win10 x64 using a Ceton Infinitv 4 w/ cable card. Broadcast channels change pretty quickly ~4-5sec, but cable channels take 30 seconds+ but more often just seem to hang and go to a black screen. (

The decoder I'm using for Mpeg2 is from Cyberlink PowerDVD8. I tried downloading the trial of their latest, (PowerDVD 15), but nothing appeared in the MPEG2 drop down after installing. Same thing with a trial download of Arcsoft. SAF codec pack installed and showed up, but I couldn't get any channel to display when I selected it

Any suggestions? If a different video decoder might be the answer as johnsonx42 suggested, can anyone suggest one that they know works well ?
sdf Wrote:I have very slow channel change (almost stalling sometimes 20-25 secs).
Windows 10 x64, but the problem as the same also on win 8.1.
I made a new install, scanned for channels and switched three/four channels.
With other software channel change (with the same stations) is almost instant (1-2 secs).
Here are my logs.
Can someone take a look at them please?
Thank you
There is no reason you shouldn't get channel changes happening in the 1-3 second time frame.

To help us determine if it's a capture or playback issue, when you're getting these 20-25 second channel changes, when do you see a live tv buffer file created in buffer directory? ie, is it fairly immediately, or is it after 20-25 seconds. If it's created immediately, after a few seconds, if you look at the file properties, does it have data in it (ie a non-zero file size)? If you copy one of those files after say 10 seconds, can you play that file and see video?
cpyne Wrote:I've got the same problem. I'm new to NPVR coming over from WMC. I just did a fresh install on Win10 x64 using a Ceton Infinitv 4 w/ cable card. Broadcast channels change pretty quickly ~4-5sec, but cable channels take 30 seconds+ but more often just seem to hang and go to a black screen. (
Since Ceton support is very new, it could very well be a different issue to sdf is seeing. I'd probably what I said on my previous post as a first step.

The guys I had testing Ceton were indicating their channel changes were working well with a channel change time of a couple of seconds.

If you've got some channels that are always black, it might be worth checking the Ceton device web pages to see if the channel is infact copy-freely. With a Ceton device, NextPVR can't currently tell if a channel is copy-protected, and with these channels you'll just get black.
When I enter a low channel number, I see the video file get created almost immediately and the on screen video starts a few seconds later. For higher channels, the file is also created immediately and I can see it starting to grow in size, but the display in npvr just shows black. Eventually the video does kick in so I know its not a copy protected channel. If I copy the video file out from the temp directory and try to play it in VLC Player, the start is empty and just shows that VLC orange cone, (not actual black video). Eventually the video starts after about 30 sec...

Here's a sample file from USA network if it helps.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CD...video%2cts
Hmm, that's very strange.

It might be worth trying the same step, but as two separate step to see if it makes any difference. So if you'd started on 3 and changed to 703 and see this problem, then I'd stop live tv, and start it on 3, then stop live tv and restart it on 703, to see if it starts fast or slow.

Also, might be worth checking the Ceton logs tab in the Ceton webpages, to see if there is any event's noted at the time you changed channels, vs the time the video really showed up. Also worth checking what the tuner tab is reporting at the time.

If you're up for it, I'm happy to remote connect to your machine (using teamviewer) and check it out for you. Otherwise we can just try working through it.

(I'm pretty sure this is cablecard/ceton related, so probably a different problem than sdf was originally reporting, so I might separate these posts into a new thread)
Starting up and going directly to channel 50/USA is a bit faster, but still slow. Maybe 20 seconds.

I'm looking for that Ceton URL, but the button in the Ceton app is taking me to a dead link - http://192.168.200.1/Services/1/Status.html

I can ping that IP, but not webpage responds at that URL or sub folders or just the root

I'm up for teamviewer too if you want to check it out.
cpyne Wrote:Starting up and going directly to channel 50/USA is a bit faster, but still slow. Maybe 20 seconds.
Yeah, something strange going on with that channel. It'll be interesting to see what I can find in the Ceton logs etc.

Quote:I'm up for teamviewer too if you want to check it out.
Sorry, I just got unexpected visitors, and now have to head out for a while, so my time disappeared on me. I'm happy to take a look at this tomorrow for you though? When you're on the forums tomorrow, let me know and we'll go from there.
I agree the Ceton logs are what to check next. Unfortunately I've hit another strange error. Not NPVR related, but in Win10, I can't seem to get to the Ceton diagnostics webpage. I have a Ceton network connection at 192.168.200.2 and I can ping the actual Ceton card which is at 192.168.200.1, but if I got to http://192.168.200.1, I get nothing.

Now if I swap back my old hard drive and boot back into Win7, I get all these same IPs and I can get to the diagnostics site at http://192.168.200.1.

There's an option there for Static vs DHCP. It was set to DHCP so I tried static setting of 192.168.200.1 and then moved back to the Win10, but still no luck

Looks like Ceton and Win10 don't totally play nice together? I'm going to post this in the hardware forum as a separate thread in case someone has seen it
Pages: 1 2 3