NextPVR Forums

Full Version: No Live TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've read through the forums and tried to see if there was a problem like mine, and I'm not sure, but I'm guess it's decoders. I am able to add my channels from my Comcast M-Card to NextPVR and it sees my channels. It sees all 3 of my tuners from the HD HomeRunPrime, but when I tune to Live TV I just get the black screen as others have. I've tried just about every codec that's in there and no dice. I installed SAF, but it doesn't show in the codec dropdown list. Any help you guys can provide is appreciated.

OS: Windows 10 (I've also done this on Windows 7, same issue)
Provider: Comcast (M-Card)
Device: HD HomeRunPrime
Locale: US - East Coast
Your logs look like you're using the ffdshow decoder. You probably need to enable MPEG2 support in ffdshow. ie, click the "..." next to the ffdshow decoder selection on the Settings->Decoders screen, click the 'codecs' tab on the left, and scroll down to MPEG2 in the list, and enable it.
Couple of suggestions:

Try just doing a recording and see if a non-0 byte file is created. This will confirm that the data stream is getting through from your tuner.

If you have a file, then try playing it. If it's black, it's almost certainly video decoder. Your log indicates it's trying to use ffdshow. You have to go into the ffdshow settings and enable NPVR in the applications. Also, set it to use libavcodec library. Sorry, I don't know exactly where this is in the settings. For the US, you'll need a MPEG2 video decoder and a AC3 audio decoder. In Win 7, you should have the MS DTV-DVD video decoder and it works great. For audio, you'll have to install an AC3 decoder, either the LAV audio decoder or AC3Filter will work. The rest can be disabled. Set the video and audio renderers to Default.

If you're trying to get a client setup going, first get everything working on the server, then extend to a client.

In the future, post your entire logs folder: right click on the folder, send to compressed folder, then post the resulting zip.
DrunkenNupe Wrote:I installed SAF, but it doesn't show in the codec dropdown list.
SAF is not a decoder. SAF is an installer. SAF installs decoders and configures NEXTPVR to use the decoders that SAF installs. The decoders insatlled by SAF should work anywhere and for any recording. SAF also installs some utility programs. Send Hoborg a forum private message to get the "unlocked" version of SAF that includes some additional decoders that might give you a better result.
I was able to record a program for a minute or so and the program was in a *.ts file and it was more than 0-byte. The file was about 2MB when I stopped it. I was unable to hear audio and see video from the file when I opened it in WMP, VLC, or MPC. I have attached the log files to this post and will continue to try codecs. I do not have a MS DTV-DVD codec under MPEG-2, only H.264. Let me know if you guys see anything.
Your logs still show ffdshow. Did you follow the instructions above to enabled MPEG2 support in that decoder?
Just a thought/concern - it is my understanding that using a cablecard -based system with Comcast that is not based on WMC yields many of the channels copy-protected in such a way they will certainly not be recordable - and possibly will not stream live? Just an idea to look into. I use a cable provider that leaves copy protection off for any subscribed cablecard-tuned channels, but I have heard time Warner and Comcast are not NPVR-friendly in this regard. I can see all available channels on my cablecard, subscribed or not, but tuning to any not subscribed yields the same issue you are seeing
Yes, that is true - NextPVR will only be able to view/record copy-freely channels.

Generally a NextPVR scan with an HDHomeRun will only return copy-freely channels though.
If you had a short recording that wont play in NextPVR, or any other player, with a short sample recording, I can tell if a recording is encrypted.