NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Windows 10 and Hardware compatibility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have a computer that was custom built 5 years ago for Windows 7 and my Hauppauge 1600 TV Tuner PCI card. I used Windows Media Center to schedule recordings and view TV. It worked beautifully.

Unfortunately my OS became corrupt and now must be reinstalled. The question is whether to upgrade to Windows 10 and try NPVR in lieu of the Media Center.

The computer specifications are
MB Gigabyte GA-EP43T-USB3 P43 R
GEForce 9500GT PCIE 2.0 512 MB DDR3 DVI TV Out 550 MHZ Ctlr
Box Pentium E6700 3.2 G 2C 2T 2 MB 64 XD S775

I also have to use an IR blaster to change the channels. But the TV Card and Windows Media Center managed to work with that and do automatic recordings.

Is this build capable of supporting Windows 10 and NPVR, along with simultaneously running other programs like Office and Firefox, or would I have to get new hardware to handle this stuff? I already know I need more RAM, right now it's just 4GB. It was attempting to add more RAM that revealed the corruption.

How much misery am I looking at to get everything working together as well as they did with Windows 7 and its Media Center?

If I stay with 7, it's going to take days to install all the updates, but it might be worth avoiding the hassle of upgrading the whole computer system at this time.

Thanks for your time and advice.
If you're happy with Win7 and WMC, I'd stick with that. If you are technically knowledgeable about computers in general and DVR type applications, audio and video decoders, and like to tinker a bit, then go with 10 and NPVR. In my experience, there is no need for more than 4GB of memory for a DVR app and normal household word processing, spreadsheets, etc. If you are into video editing, image processing, then you probably want more.

Your hardware is plenty good for NPVR.
one of my NPVR-based set top boxes uses an e6700 without issue on W10. If your OS is corrupt, I recommend re-installing it first before attempting a W10 upgrade to be safe. I have seen quite a bit of W7 artifacts left over from the W7 - W10 upgrade path. Who knows if one or more of those artifacts could cause corruption in W10?
Oh yeah! It's a complete reinstall of 7. We just won't reinstall all the 5 years of updates. Straight to 10.
windsonged Wrote:Oh yeah! It's a complete reinstall of 7. We just won't reinstall all the 5 years of updates. Straight to 10.

im using win10 w/ nextpvr and kodi 15.1, i have a ceton infinitv 6 using win 8.1 drivers and its working well