NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Live View
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Using VLC on my Android tablet and entering the LAN address of the desktop that is running NPVR I can get a live picture and sound of the channel requested. It plays fine for anywhere from 30 seconds to three minutes then it locks up. Any ideas on how to stop the lock up?
Forgot something.
What locks up... the playing on the tablet or the server?

Do you have a virus scanner running on the server...if so exclude this directory (looks like this is where you live files are getting stored): C:\Temp\
The playing on the tablet locks. I have to go to settings on the tablet and force stop VLC. Then I can restart VLC and the live until it locks again.
No virus of any kind on the server(desktop).
Why do you think it should work? The symptom sounds like every attempt I've had streaming with too slow a wireless network or Android h/w playback not keeping up. Once the initial buffer plays out streaming can stutter and hang because it can't keep up playing in real time.

Martin
Have you tried android version of Kodi? I don't watch a lot on my tablet, but, I have on occasion fired it up and watch football or baseball out in the back yard, seemed to work ok for me... I'm using a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet.
mvallevand Wrote:Why do you think it should work? The symptom sounds like every attempt I've had streaming with too slow a wireless network or Android h/w playback not keeping up. Once the initial buffer plays out streaming can stutter and hang because it can't keep up playing in real time.

Martin
Well, it worked well with a wireless connection to dish when I had dish. Also I use that tablet when I watch something from Netflix and send it to my big TV. So, I guess that is why I thought it could/should work.

JavaWiz Wrote:Have you tried android version of Kodi? I don't watch a lot on my tablet, but, I have on occasion fired it up and watch football or baseball out in the back yard, seemed to work ok for me... I'm using a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet.
I don't want it to do much viewing, just now and then.
No, I have not tried the android version of kodi. I will look into that.
Thanks.
Big difference would be that kodi(I believe) and Netflix would be that they stream in h.264 transcoded video while the live channel feed is uncompressed .ts stream.
h264 vs mpeg2video, lower bandwidth of Netflix and Dish (1/2 or more vs cable and OTA), wifi limits and the fact that most Android tablet need to use software deinterlacing are all going to be factors in playback. The logs showed NextPVR performing ok which I why I was checking on expectations. If it worked before on these streams before that would be different.

Kodi won't help necessarily because it is a player but on some Android chips it is able to get good optimizations on many others not so much

Martin
JavaWiz Wrote:Have you tried android version of Kodi?
Yes. Installed it last night and after several minutes of select words directed at the program and the tablet, it works purrrrrrfectly. Had a live channel running with out any problems for 1/2 an hour. Had to stop and go to bed.
Thanks JavaWiz for the suggestion to use Kodi for Android.
Also thanks from others information on why it was not working.