NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Black Screen - Which Decoder should I use in the UK for Audio and Video please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Windows 7, running on I5 pc
4Gbe Ram
NextPVR 3.6.6
Running SAF (LaV) Decoder for Mpeg 2)
Running on a wired Gbe LAN
Local 3Tb Drives

Can anyone make recommendations to which decoders i should use for UK TV for both Video and Audio please?

Cheers, Julian
Many of use "unlocked" SAF ... send a forum private message to Hoborg to ask for the "unlocked" version ... this will add decoders that work better than LAV for video.

LAV should be okay for audio ... set MPEG1 and HE AAC to LAV and leave all other audio decoders on "disabled" ... Leave Audio Renderer on "Default" and Video Renderer on EVR.

Edit: Mpeg1 is audio in SD channels and HE AAC is audio in HD channels ... if your tuner(s) don't receive HD channels then leave HE AAC set to disabled.
Thank you, appreciate the response Graham. I'll hopefully be a helpful contributor soon.
If you have any of the HD freesat channels you'll need to set an AC3 decoder too. LAV is fine for this.

Iain
Graham,

Thanks again for the advice above, I've downloaded unlocked SAF 6.3 version, I can see audio settings above, but no video, any guidance appreciated I have DVB-T2 free HD tuners btw

Cheers, Julian
I have a customer (no, not commercial) who heard of me talking about this and he wanted to try it, sadly, he has XP on his machine. The "Live TV" shows a black screen and no audio, it does however list the channel it is streaming. I did not try EVR with it (since it's XP, should have though). Any thoughts on decoders or is XP a DiTW (Dead in The Water) OS for this software?

GuruSR.
GuruSR Wrote:I have a customer (no, not commercial) who heard of me talking about this and he wanted to try it, sadly, he has XP on his machine. The "Live TV" shows a black screen and no audio, it does however list the channel it is streaming. I did not try EVR with it (since it's XP, should have though). Any thoughts on decoders or is XP a DiTW (Dead in The Water) OS for this software?

GuruSR.
Back in the XP days I used EVR with great result, there is no reason it should not work today with the same decoders, ie SAF.
I run 3.4.8 on one XP machine, 3.5.7 on another XP machine. They both use EVR and Hauppauge and ArcSoft decoders.