NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Recording OTA - LiveTV looks fine, recordings are a mess
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, haven't been on here for quite a while. Life.

A couple years ago, we noticed that our recordings from ATSC (via the classic HDHR) started showing signs like the signal strength got poor in about the last 15 minutes of nearly every show we recorded. Some channels record perfect like my daughter's cartoons on PBS. Watching Live/Timeshifted TV on the same channels that the recordings are made from works great, never see the blocky, tearing, locking up video issue. This is on my HTPC. We quit recording OTA for my wife and I's shows and used the Dish receiver. We're trying to cancel our subscription to use Dish so I'd like to get this OTA issue sorted.

I installed the latest version of NextPVR the other night on my main computer (Phenom II x4, 8GB RAM, Win7 64bit) to see if maybe it was an issue with the HTPC. The same issue happens on it. LiveTV/timeshifted works fine while recordings have video issues like the signal is cutting out. While the recordings are happening, the PC (and HTPC for that matter) haven't been used for anything else. HDHR's config/view panel shows the signal strength of one of the channels in question to be 100%, signal quality to be around 68-70% and symbol quality to be 100%. The cable comes from the antenna in the attic into one of these amps and then two connections go to the HDHR and the other to a digital TV (which we've never seen signal issues on it either).

I'm guessing it's gotta be the signal quality but it just doesn't make sense that we would never see the issue with LiveTV or on the TV in our den.

Any ideas?
Torque Wrote:I'm guessing it's gotta be the signal quality but it just doesn't make sense that we would never see the issue with LiveTV or on the TV in our den.
Received wisdom is that the tuners in computer devices are less sensitive than the tuners in TVs. One test might be to attempt a recording using a tuner device that is as close as possible to the antenna with no splitters in the antenna coax cable. You could try this with and without the signal amp (received wisdom is that amps can "overload" some tuner devices).
I'll try taking the amp out of the equation and just running antenna straight into one of the tuners on the HDHR tonight.