NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Cannot WATCH programs, but I can record them
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
O.K., I've seen that many people have reported similar issues, some with resolutions. But, after a month of trying,

I cannot resolve my issue. So I've tested, and duplicated, and zipped my logs. Hopefully, someone will show me the error in my ways.

I'm running 3.6.6 on Win7-x64 Ultimate, using 3 Ceton PCI card(s) on multiple PC's, all using the unlocked SAF/LAV filters. At first I thought my issue was with decoders, but since fighting my way through many decoder issues, I am confident they are not. I've also tried many other filters/codecs from various products. It's really a shame that such a great product doesn't offer a standard/default for decoders instead of every new user plodding through the same experiences with decoders.

I can record any/all available channels without issue, but I cannot "WATCH" anything. When I attempt it, audio starts after about 5-7 seconds, followed by video for a split second (actually, just a flash). I can see in the log that NPVR starts the DRI, and assumes that everything is running normally, but it isn't.

I've seen other posts where users had Firewall issues, but I've verified that in my case does not. I've disabled the firewall, and validated the exceptions, and run wide open (no User Account Control), just to be sure. And, as stated above, I can record and play ANY/ALL programs. So I doubt that I have a security/access issue. If someone can inform me as to what directory is used for live watching, I'll do some more validating. Perhaps someone can tell me where NPVR places the captured video so that I may verify that folders security as well.

In the following test, I attempted to "WATCH" a CNN program "NEW DAY SATURDAY" (chan-1215) at 6:26am today (Saturday), and the attempt was stopped at 6:30am. The logs are attached.
Lone_Stranger Wrote:If someone can inform me as to what directory is used for live watching, I'll do some more validating.
Gladly, sir.

The Live TV Buffer directory is set in Settings --> Misc ... http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...ation.Misc

The nrecord .log has ...
Quote:2016-01-09 06:27:26.186 [DEBUG][12] checking: Ceton InfiniTV PCIe (00-80-53-20) Tuner 2
2016-01-09 06:27:26.186 [DEBUG][12] enabled and present
2016-01-09 06:27:26.186 [DEBUG][12] has channel
2016-01-09 06:27:26.187 [DEBUG][12] live tv is possible
2016-01-09 06:27:26.187 [DEBUG][12] Asking NCableCardHost to start: LIVE&C:\Temp\live-CNNHD-8741.ts

It's likely that the file specified in the above log sample was automatically deleted ... but you can see what will happen for your next experiment.

For completeness, the log of the process that connected to the tuner at about 6.26 am appears to be ncchost-26.log but the messages are all in Cetonese and mean nothing to me.
Lone_Stranger Wrote:It's really a shame that such a great product doesn't offer a standard/default for decoders instead of every new user plodding through the same experiences with decoders.
That would be possible, but attaching decoders to NPVR would require licencing, and that costs money, lots of money for some decoders and npvr would not be a free donation based system anymore.
1.Did you installed K-Lite Mega Codec Pack ?
2.Have got NextPVR access to that folder ? (Windows Explorer --> Permissions)
I never install codec packs because I've been burned by them in the past. I now selectively locate and install them as needed.

My live TV folder is the same folder used for recordings which work well. Therefore, there cannot be a permissions issue.
I have tried many other codecs and programs, without resolution. I simply cannot WATCH any program.

If anyone can offer a set of logs that depict "normal" entries for live TV, I'd peruse them and compare what I've got, in an attempt to resolve this issue.

I cannot believe that no one else has seen this before, since no one else is complaining. Perhaps, like me, most folks simply record everything instead of watching live. I have multiple PC's, all with this same identical problem. Perhaps it is unique to Ceton tuner cards?
Lone_Stranger Wrote:I have tried many other codecs and programs, without resolution. I simply cannot WATCH any program.

Does NextPVR create a file in the Live TV buffer folder and does the file have data in it? You will need to check while NextPVR is actually attempting to "do" Live TV because Live TV buffer files are usually deleted when the Live TV session is ended.
Yes, Graham.

While attempting a LIVE TV session, I can go into the folder, and display a fully functional video via VLC. So, it's being captured and it's functional.

Usually, but not always, when I attempt a LIVE TV session, NPVR attempts a display of the program, but just for a split second - I see the full moving image for a quarter to a half second. Then it does dark while the audio continues. So, I believe the simple issue is that NPVR attempts to show it, but for some reason it fails without further notice.

My hair is getting thinner by the day....
On the Settings->Misc2 screen, do you have 'Use alter OSD with missing video' ticked?
Yes, Sub. As usual yu have the answers. I'm in awe.

But, maybe yu culd relabel that item....

Thanks
Pages: 1 2