NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Re-Imaged PC, all recordings since image date show "Recording service not running..."
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First time here and I want to give a big thanks to Sub and the other supporters for this outstanding program! As a long time user (10+ years) of Snapstream BeyondTV, I have finally found a replacement for my end-of-life DVR!!!

This question is not really a bug-fix request, for as far as I can see the NextPVR software is running perfectly on my setup. I have Windows 7-SP1 (32bit) and NextPVR 3.6.6 installed onto my boot drive C. I record my shows onto other physical drives D, F.

This past week I had other issues with my PC, so I decided to roll things back to a boot drive image C that I had taken a week earlier.

The weird thing now is that the newer recordings, on external drives, made since the image was taken show "Recording service not running at recording time." I can live with that, because I know I was the cause. NextPVR time-travelled a week into the past and now has no memory that these recordings were originally successful.

But NextPVR will not allow me to play the "Failed" shows from the NextPVR Recordings GUI. The only option is to delete. If I start another media player, such as Kodi, I can still play these particular "Failed" shows just fine.

So my big question, is there anything I can do to get NextPVR to mark these newer shows as "Ready"? Is there a config or database somewhere that I can update? Or is this something I should have backed up before the system restore?

Thanks for any advice!
Probably best to delete the failed recordings in the app, then go to the Settings->Recordings screen and use the 'Import Recordings' button, change the filter to "*.ts", then select your recording files. This should get them to show up.
Hey sub, thanks for the quick reply! So far when I have deleted a recording from the app, it deletes the .ts show from the hard drive. Would this not be the case for "Failed" shows? I don't want to actually delete the .ts files ...
I think it should be fine, but test it with one, and maybe backup the file first.

These recordings that are in the database as 'Recording service not running..." shouldnt' have a filename associated with them, since those recordings didn't actually happen, so there shouldn't be any file it wants to delete.
Correct! Your suggestion worked great!

Mark this one as solved :-)

I first tested with a show that I do not much care about. Verified that it was on my hard drive and played it with VLC. Deleted the "Failed" version from the NextPVR Programs GUI. The show was still on my hard drive. Imported the show's .ts file via the Settings->Recordings screen and using the 'Import Recordings' button. The correct show status now appears in the GUI, and it is playable!!!

This verifies that with a show in "Failed" status in the GUI, there is no actual pointer to the .ts file on the drive. So deleting the show's instance from the database had no effect on the actual file.

I also tested the delete function with another old show that was was listed normally in the GUI Ready status, and the .ts file was deleted from the drive. In this case delete really means delete!

Thanks again!!! Awesome program :-)
tinstaafl Wrote:This verifies that with a show in "Failed" status in the GUI, there is no actual pointer to the .ts file on the drive. So deleting the show's instance from the database had no effect on the actual file.
Actually that's not correct. This only true for this particular type of failure ('Recording service not running...').

Some other types of failures will have a file on disk. For example, a recording that happened but the device never locked onto a signal, so created a zero byte file. In this case it'll have a filename to delete.
I stand corrected! It is never safe to make assumptions based on one sample type ... thanks again for the assist!
Shouldn't that be "tanstaafl"

Martin
there ain't no such thing as a free lunch? one of my favorites, but I can't see how it applies here.

(oh, nevermind, I see it, the poster's name... duh)
mvallevand Wrote:Shouldn't that be "tanstaafl"

Martin

You are correct, as far as Heinlein (one of my favorite sci-fi authors) is concerned, but I just decided to use the proper English variant ("... is no ..." vs. "... ain't no ...") in my acronym. Plus less chance that somebody already grabbed the original, ha!

In reality, the NextPVR is actually one of the best "free lunches" I have come across, after GNU/Linux etc. :-)
Pages: 1 2