NextPVR Forums

Full Version: X-NEWA Install observations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I am making fledgling steps with RPi2, Kodi, X-NEWA so bear with me while I make some comments/observations.

I installed X-NEWA eventually although had to have a few goes before it downloaded the repository. Wondered if the Video was still up to date actually, as it looks different?
Anyhow, got it installed, then could not open X-NEWA on 127.0.0.1 despite being able to access 127.0.0.1:8866 from Windows.
Eventually got it going using the server IP Address directly (which btw oddly does not appear to be "sticky" in the settings, but it is there behind).
Got into the Native NextPVR which is pretty limited for my use (Guide is all scrunched up too?), then got into X-NEWA. Ahhhh... familiarity.
Haven't gone any further than that for now as am looking at shares.

k.
Yes cosmetically things are different with XBMC, Kodi, OE look and feel and newer versions of x-newa. Concepts are the same.

If it doesn't already, I will update the configuration screen skin to say Server IP. For Native x-newa pkscout's skin is much easier to read

Note as you progress there are options to autostart X-NEWA Web Client from the X-NEWA menu choice and you can even go further and autostart X-NEWA and bypass Kodi completely.

If you have looked at sub's Kodi PVR addon and truly don't want to use it, definitely disable it as it consumes a lot of resources unnecessarily, increases startup time and it will send notifications to you.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:Yes cosmetically things are different with XBMC, Kodi, OE look and feel and newer versions of x-newa. Concepts are the same.

If it doesn't already, I will update the configuration screen skin to say Server IP. For Native x-newa pkscout's skin is much easier to read

Note as you progress there are options to autostart X-NEWA Web Client from the X-NEWA menu choice and you can even go further and autostart X-NEWA and bypass Kodi completely.
OK, Ta.

mvallevand Wrote:If you have looked at sub's Kodi PVR addon and truly don't want to use it, definitely disable it as it consumes a lot of resources unnecessarily, increases startup time and it will send notifications to you. Martin
OK, will needs to work out how to do that. WAF is contingent upon "as few changes as possible" and "stop coming to bed way after midnight".

It seemed to me like you couldn't get to the familiar Web Client WITHOUT going via sub's Kodi PVR addon? Maybe your last Sticky about auto-starting will sort this out.

I also did a lot of reading on Kodi and other fora about advancedsettings.xml; there is a lot about what to edit, even where it is, but as another use pointed out, precious little about HOW to access/edit it. At 1am I was was trying to "putty into the Pi" (odd expression that), with no success (yes turned on SSH). Refused to let me in - more reading needed clearly. I even found what looked like add-ons which allowed you to get and do this (any of those any good?).

The error is ""Network error: Connection timed out" (after a long time). I used the IP address of the Pi which I set as static DHCP via my Router. Anything else I need to check? I should ping it I guess and another site said try a ssh -v for more info.

Or maybe try a Putty update. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=233375

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/ssh-into-ras...istration/

k.
Look at WinSCP. Running on your Windows machine, you can look at the pi linux filesystem similar to Explorer in Windows. IIRC, you can edit files from the pi, transfer files between the PC and the pi, and lots of other stuff. IMO you should have both Putty and WinSCP to easily manage a pi.
mikeh49 Wrote:Look at WinSCP. Running on your Windows machine, you can look at the pi linux filesystem similar to Explorer in Windows. IIRC, you can edit files from the pi, transfer files between the PC and the pi, and lots of other stuff. IMO you should have both Putty and WinSCP to easily manage a pi.

Yep, WinSCP is what I use most to easily edit and transfer files to/from my pi running kodi. (Also very handy when looking at the kodi.log file or grabbing it to post if there are problems.) I also use EditPad Lite as the text editor on my Windows PC.
jksmurf Wrote:The error is ""Network error: Connection timed out" (after a long time). I use the IP address of the Pi which I set as static DHCP via my Router. Anything else I need to check? I should ping it I guess and another site said try a ssh -v for more info.

In the OpenELEC Settings add-on, in the Services section, there is an option to "Enable SSH". I don't recall if this is enabled by default. I think that it may be disabled, by default, so you would need to turn that on. (Oh now I re-read your post and see that you did say you turned on SSH, so I guess that isn't the problem. Did you reboot afterwards?)
jksmurf Wrote:I was was trying to "putty into the Pi" (odd expression that), with no success (yes turned on SSH). Refused to let me in - more reading needed clearly. I even found what looked like add-ons which allowed you to get and do this (any of those any good?).

In putty make sure you use the ssh option not telnet and accept the certificate that is send.

The addon that allow log uploading to the web comes in very handy.

Martin
Thanks Folks Smile

mikeh49 Wrote:Look at WinSCP. Running on your Windows machine, you can look at the pi linux filesystem similar to Explorer in Windows. IIRC, you can edit files from the pi, transfer files between the PC and the pi, and lots of other stuff. IMO you should have both Putty and WinSCP to easily manage a pi.

Great stuff, thanks Mike. I have putty (more on that below) but wasn't super keen on making mistakes typing into Putty and amending files on the Pi using SSH.

BrettB Wrote:In the OpenELEC Settings add-on, in the Services section, there is an option to "Enable SSH". I don't recall if this is enabled by default. I think that it may be disabled, by default, so you would need to turn that on. (Oh now I re-read your post and see that you did say you turned on SSH, so I guess that isn't the problem. Did you reboot afterwards?)
Cheers Brett, yup, turned on and rebooted. It wasn't the issue, though (see below for what it was).

mvallevand Wrote:In putty make sure you use the ssh option not telnet and accept the certificate that is sent. The addon that allows log uploading to the web comes in very handy. Martin

Right, the issue regarding not being able to SSH in using Putty was simply (as above link) that my Putty version was too old (in fact, from circa 2007, v 0.60 when Martin was helping me with the Hauppauge MVP). The new putty version actually prompts you for the certificate and voila, you are in SSH (Not Telnet), comes up with my RPi2 name "QTPi2". Current Putty version is 0.66. The old version just sat there.

That's as far as I got last night, it was a good "success" moment to go to bed on. I will next investigate advancedsettings.xml setup using WinSCP as recommended above but first I need to figure out what goes in it, APART from path substitutions, which I know about.

Thanks again for all the help and apologies for the obvious iPhone pic of a a PC screen, I was rushing off to work... :o

I must say I am warming to the Pi (you must blow on the Pi ... ) and no disrespect to Martin's X-Newa sticky which is not intended to cover multitudes of hardware setups, I think the Pi2 could reach out to a lot more of the NextPVR community if all the hints and tips for X-Newa on the RPi were in one place (Separate Forum?). If I get time I will try and do that, but no promises, however I will continue to feedback here, in the hope it helps other RPI newbie out (by me asking lots of questions and you good folk supplying great answers).

Cheers

k.
K, may I ask why you are so worried about overclocking and tweaking addons and advanced settings. You understand the RPi is is not going to be a PC right?

Martin
Lol. Absolutely, and I don't expect it to be, just a simple NPVR client.:o.

Sorry I must admit I am putting the horse before the cart a bit, but what I did want to try and achieve is as much as I could while plugged in next to my PC (swapping HDMI) to configure it, before I take it on its long journey downstairs to the TV, where I hope it will act as good as the NMT for the rest of its days.

OK you got me. I'm a tinkerer. I read stustunz and a few others posts and figured if that was what folks were doing, it must be OK. Plus I would like to actually have really snappy menus, so if disabling unneeded services etc assist this, it is something I would like to do.

A Q if I may? I am about to do the autostart config:

Auto X-NEWA
Code:
For those not interested in the XBMC functionality it is possible to have XBMC launch X-NEWA on startup. To do that find the XBMC folder http://kodi.wiki/view/Special_protocol#Available_Paths and in script.xbmc.x-newa and there edit the file addon.xml and change <!--extension point="xbmc.service" library="default.py" start="startup"></extension--> to <extension point="xbmc.service" library="default.py" start="startup"></extension>

If I do this, do I then have to un-edit it to ever get back into the kodi screen (in case I want to adjust a setting or add a program) or is there some mechanism (button press, key combo to achieve that?

Ta

k.
Pages: 1 2 3 4