NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Black screen with Cablecard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a HDHomerun prime which works fine with NPVR with no cablecard. Installed a cablecard ran HDHomerun setup to change the config from digital to cablecard and ran devices setup in NPVR again. NPVR sees the device and finds channels however when I try to watch liveTV all I receive is a black screen no audio. Recordings grow in size but again just a black screen no audio during playback in VLC. I tried different decoders including SAF6 since it is stated in the Read before posting. One note is the HDHomerun setup no longer includes "Other - ATSC/QAM" for application (again read before posting) unless I am missing something that is. I have tried Default and Next PVR for the BDA Compatibility Mode in HDHomerun setup. Windows Media Center on a windows 7 box is able to see most of the channels HBO and handle full of other channels are not displaying but HDHomerun logs report I am not subscribed to those channels so I know there is an issue that needs cable intervention but I should be able to at least see standard channels in NPVR right?
Tuner: HDHomerun Prime CableCard and tuning adaptor

Thank you in advanced for your help.
A lot of people on Win10 are having firewall issues. Even if you think it's turned off, even if you've allowed all the NEXTPVR elements through it at some point, Win10 apparently turns its firewall back on and disallows exceptions when it updates itself. Might be worth a look.

Kudos, by the way, on reading the sticky, trying everything it says, and posting the logs on your very first post. Makes you a rare bird in this tree.
yeah, I need to change the wording in that section about the HD Homerun. The problem is both that I don't have one, so I have no direct knowledge of what settings are available, and the actual situation with that setting seems very murky these days. At some point I thought they were in contact with sub and were going to change the NextPVR setting to work properly, but I have no idea what ever happened with that.

That said, I think your issue may be that you aren't using the correct version of the HD Homerun device in Settings->Devices. (but forgive me, I may have some details wrong as I STILL don't have one!). I think that the device that worked without a cablecard installed was the BDA/QAM version, but with a cablecard you can only use the HDHR version of the device. The communication method is different.

Perhaps someone more versed in HDHR w/CableCard will be along to enlighten us.

Be aware though that NextPVR will never be able to record or view premium channels like HBO. It will be limited to standard cable channels at best; some cable users find that their company flags even regular channels as "Copy-Once" which blocks them. NextPVR can only record channels marked "Copy-Freely".
If the recordings grow to a normal-ish size, but only give black in VLC, then I'm guessing that channel is encrypted. If you supply a short sample recording, I can check for you. Alternatively you can check the silicon dust software while NextPVR is trying to use the channel - it'll show the copy protection status.
dgreen Wrote:I have a HDHomerun prime which works fine with NPVR with no cablecard. Installed a cablecard ran HDHomerun setup to change the config from digital to cablecard and ran devices setup in NPVR again. NPVR sees the device and finds channels however when I try to watch liveTV all I receive is a black screen no audio. Recordings grow in size but again just a black screen no audio during playback in VLC. I tried different decoders including SAF6 since it is stated in the Read before posting. One note is the HDHomerun setup no longer includes "Other - ATSC/QAM" for application (again read before posting) unless I am missing something that is. I have tried Default and Next PVR for the BDA Compatibility Mode in HDHomerun setup. Windows Media Center on a windows 7 box is able to see most of the channels HBO and handle full of other channels are not displaying but HDHomerun logs report I am not subscribed to those channels so I know there is an issue that needs cable intervention but I should be able to at least see standard channels in NPVR right?

Since the recording file is growing. The problem isn't firewall related. And since the file also won't play in VLC, I'm pretty sure you're recording an encrypted/protected stream. Windows Media Center can record and playback DRM protected channels (where the CCI protection is "Copy Once"). Due to CableLabs restrictions, other programs like NextPVR can only playback non-DRM protected channels (where the CCI protection is "Copy Freely").

It used to be that if you went to HDHR's built-in webserver page listing the channel lineup it would display a "DRM" logo next to channels which were not set to "Copy Freely". But, I just checked on my device, and apparently SiliconDust has removed that feature in a more recent firmware :mad:. So I'm not sure how you can check the channel setting right now.

What is the name of your cable provider? Some of them (especially Time Warner) seem to be restricting all channels (including local broadcast channels) to "Copy Once" so that programs like NextPVR aren't able to use them.
sub Wrote:Alternatively you can check the silicon dust software while NextPVR is trying to use the channel - it'll show the copy protection status.

OK, there it is. While NextPVR is recording a channel, go to the HDHR's webpage and select the Tuner Status and then select the specific tuner that is being used. For NextPVR to be successful, it will need to show:
Code:
CCI Protection      unrestricted
Thank you everyone who posted trying to help me with this. I am on Cox Cable and they are using copyonce on almost all channels even the local over the air. Thank you everyone for helping me with this. Thanks BrettB for pointing out the CCI Protection.
dgreen Wrote:Thank you everyone who posted trying to help me with this. I am on Cox Cable and they are using copyonce on almost all channels even the local over the air. Thank you everyone for helping me with this. Thanks BrettB for pointing out the CCI Protection.

Just as an FYI, I don't think the US cable companies are allowed to flag the locals as Copy Once. If they are you can call support and complain, but you may find that it's easier if you just bash your head against the wall for a couple of hours. Maybe worth a try though.

With the departure of MS from the media center business, It think the only non-cable company DVR choice left for CopyOnce channels is TiVo. There are no PC based DVRs of which I'm aware that can do it.
For those that need the info, in the HD Honmerun config gui, click on the number of the unit, not an individual tuner. Then click on channel lineup. Each channel flagged copy one or copy never shows a DRM icon. I'm one of the lucky ones so far that the Cable Company hasn't flagged everything Copy Once, Sudden Link
cbgifford Wrote:For those that need the info, in the HD Honmerun config gui, click on the number of the unit, not an individual tuner. Then click on channel lineup. Each channel flagged copy one or copy never shows a DRM icon. I'm one of the lucky ones so far that the Cable Company hasn't flagged everything Copy Once, Sudden Link

OK, I just looked at mine again. Apparently, somewhere along the line of software/firmware upgrades, this channel listing was modified to only include the channels in my subscription package not all of the channels the cable company has. (i.e. no more HBO, Showtime, etc.) So, all of those channels that used to be in my listing as DRM channels, are just not listed any longer. (I'm fortunate that Comcast has a policy to only protect those premium channels, so everything in my subscription package is "Copy Freely"!)