NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Differing channels in NPVR vs HD Homerun scans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thank you for the wonderful DVR app and the amount of time supporting it.

In troubleshooting a lineup issue for SD, I've noticed two issues. I did read the sticky and searched.

First, the NPVR scan using the HDHomeRun QAM finds a differing number of channels over the HDHR. I scanned 4 times tonight in NPVR and it found: 99, 89, 103, and 96 'usable' channels (as listed in Settings -> Devices). The majority appear as blank channels. Scans were run within an hour or so. The HDHR Setup utility finds 43, which is much closer to the actual number of QAM channels.

Second, NPVR is only populating three channel names total. Almost all are labeled "Unknown xx.yyyy." HDHR is finding the correct channel names or 'guide name' (as they call it) for most broadcast stations.

I moved my data directories for both out of the way to start fresh. In the HDHR Setup utility I had it at 'default' but also tried the 'NextPVR' option, no change.

Attached is the:
logs directory
channels-QAM.xml -> NPVR QAM export
Digital Cable.xml -> Output from the HD HomeRun setup util.

Any help is appreciated.
FirstTeamOPS Wrote:Second, NPVR is only populating three channel names total. Almost all are labeled "Unknown xx.yyyy." HDHR is finding the correct channel names or 'guide name' (as they call it) for most broadcast stations.
With QAM they're not required to transmit channel names, so they very rarely do. You'll usually only get real names from rebroadcast ATSC local channels (since they are required to transmit channel names for ATSC channels).

The HDHR utility asks the SiliconDust website for information to help it determine the channel names. They collect information from the CableCard users, where the cablecard can give them the real names of channels, and use this to give some real names for QAM users. There is no equivalent NextPVR, so you're at the mercy of the names the broadcaster includes in the channel broadcasts.

I had thought in the past about creating some similar central name lookup server on nextpvr.com, but QAM is on the way out, so not worth spending the time to implement this.
I think SD does offer some QAM mapping service but QAM is probably fading out anyway.

Martin
Odd that QAM fading out is mentioned as this morning, we lost all of ours. I thought this wouldn't happen until spring but I guess the antenna is coming out of the closet.
sub Wrote:With QAM they're not required to transmit channel names, so they very rarely do. You'll usually only get real names from rebroadcast ATSC local channels (since they are required to transmit channel names for ATSC channels).

The HDHR utility asks the SiliconDust website for information to help it determine the channel names. They collect information from the CableCard users, where the cablecard can give them the real names of channels, and use this to give some real names for QAM users. There is no equivalent NextPVR, so you're at the mercy of the names the broadcaster includes in the channel broadcasts.

I had thought in the past about creating some similar central name lookup server on nextpvr.com, but QAM is on the way out, so not worth spending the time to implement this.

Okay. I see a list in the log like:

Code:
<discovered key='1:857' name='COZI_WE'/>
  <discovered key='1:858' name='LAFF_WE'/>

and those are the names!!.. but I see no SID has the <service_name> tag on that channel. :mad:

Thanks.