NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Lost QAM, now going antenna
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Cox finally killed QAM so I've hooked up a good antenna and the Hauppage USB device finds channels just fine. The HDHomeRun Extend can detect all the same channels in it's app but NPVR doesn't.
I've attached the logs but don't understand what this means:
Quote:StartStream Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Native.DigitalRecorderBase.LockChannel(Int32* locked, Int32* present, Int32* strength, Int32* quality)
at Native.DigitalRecorderBase.Run(String& message)
at NShared.DigitalRecorder.StartStream(ChannelMapping channelMapping, String target, String& reason)
at NDigitalHost.RecorderRemote.StartStream(ChannelMapping channelMapping, String target, String& reason)
I've reset the device, rebooted, checked the firewall and all the usual but must have missed something. Help appreciated.

Also, any reason why a few of the stations don't even show a full day of guide data? Most show 3 days but 2 only show 6 hours of guide data. This DTV stuff is new to me so maybe that's the way it's supposed to be.
As I understand it, OTA guide data is sparse, inadequate, and sketchy. I set up a PC for OTA specifically to mirror my brother's setup, to help him along since he's new to all this. I had to set up a scheduled task to run updateepgonly four times a day to have any hope of a decent guide with no internet connection (bro lives in 1972). Some stations do indeed give a day or two, but most give less than 8 hours. They must not think their target audience is interested in OTA PVR's.
Try this patch for that error.
For the EPG, you'll need Schedules Direct or something similar to get a useful guide. SD has about 14 days data. It is not free however; $25/year. There's a 7 day trial if you want to see how it works.
Mike, I have SD and it's was working with QAM, and my config is set for 14 days. But 6 hours of EPG.....that sucks!

Sub, the patch did start the scan (which stalled before at the first channel) and the scan finished but found no channels. I know the device works as it plays the channels in VLC with the HD app. Any other ideas?
Thanks!
pcostanza Wrote:Mike, I have SD and it's was working with QAM, and my config is set for 14 days. But 6 hours of EPG.....that sucks!
Yep, it's very sucky. The problem will go away when you switch map those channels over to your Schedules Direct account.

Quote:Sub, the patch did start the scan (which stalled before at the first channel) and the scan finished but found no channels. I know the device works as it plays the channels in VLC with the HD app. Any other ideas?
Can you post a new set of logs now you've got that patch installed?
I should know better. Sorry, updated logs attached.
I'm just heading out the door, but if you leave the silicondust config app open while scanning, do you see it lock onto some channels?
It shows signal strength in the mid 90's but signal quality and symbol quality is at 0% but I am not sure if that's not normal for scanning.

Just to be sure it's not the antenna, I tried the scan with the Hauppauge HVR-950 and it picked up over 35 channels right away so the antenna or signal is obviously not the problem.
If you're talking about the "HDHomeRun Config GUI," it drops to 0% across the board when you scan with the HDHR Setup app. If you scan with NPVR, the HDHR Config GUI will change with the state of the current channel that NPVR is scanning (physical channel #, strength, quality).
Pages: 1 2 3 4