NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Black screen when exiting playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi ALL,

I'm having a problem when I'm done watching a recording and I either use an IR remote's Exit or Stop button or when right clicking the mouse and selecting Main Menu to get back to the main menu 99% of the time NPVR's window goes black with nothing happening and when I try to click on something (even though nothing is showing) Windows 10 says its not responding and I have to force it to close. Similar to that when I watch Live TV if I try to get back to the Main Menu without changing channels I get the same black screen as above. But in this case if I change channels and then go back to the original channel I can successfully get back to the Main Menu.

Everything else is working nicely so I'm very disappointed that I'm having this problem as I am so close to having NPVR becoming a good replacement for WMC. The system is a Dell Zino with a Hauppauge UBS TV tuner running Win 10 64 bit. I also have Haup's Win TV v8 installed and that runs with no problems. And lastly I have a desktop PC with the same software but Haup add-in card TV tuner and I do NOT get the black screen problem there!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Gerry
Reproduce the problem, then post the logs and we'll take a look
sub Wrote:Reproduce the problem, then post the logs and we'll take a look

Hi sub,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I reproduced the problem twice for recorded TV and once for Live TV.

The first scenario (all using IR remote): After NPVR start, select Recorded TV, select recorded show, select Resume, playback begins. Press Stop button on remote, screen goes black, no response, force close with mouse.

Second scenario: Same as above but using mouse and clicking on square white stop icon during playback, same black screen as above.

The above is represented by NPRV1.log.zip

Then (with mouse only) I started NPVR, went to Live TV, right clicked, clicked on Main Menu and got the same non-responsive black screen.

The above is represented by NPVR2.log.zip

I wasn't sure what logs you wanted so I zipped all of them. I sure hope you can help me as I really need a replacement for WMC and it looks like NPVR will do everything I need if only it wouldn't go to that black screen as I've described.

THANKS AGAIN for you your help!!
Gerry
Gerryex3 Wrote:Press Stop button on remote, screen goes black, no response, force close with mouse.

The npvr.log has
Quote:2016-02-17 21:54:49.924 [ERROR][1] Error initialising Direct3D: SlimDX.Direct3D9.Direct3DX9NotFoundException: Direct3DX 9 was not found. Please install the latest DirectX end-user redistributable package from Microsoft. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException: External component has thrown an exception.
The sticky at ... http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...post480931

has ...

Quote:For most users, the only separate pre-requisite runtime needed is the DirectX Runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109

You need to install the DirectX runtime irrespective of the version of Windows or Directx that is already on the computer.
Hi Graham,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You need to install the DirectX runtime irrespective of the version of Windows or DirectX that is already on the computer.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Neither PC has it and the desktop PC is not exhibiting any problems, but I'm willing to try it. But the link you quoted doesn't go anywhere. I went into the Settings of NPVR and I know on the About tab it suggested to install DirectX but when I click on that link it only takes me to a generic MS page which doesn't mention DirectX. I know there are different versions of DirectX so I'm not sure which one to install. Could you point me to a specific runtime to install? Both systems have GPUs but not real powerful ones.

Thanks,
Gerry
Gerryex3 Wrote:... but I'm willing to try it. But the link you quoted doesn't go anywhere.

Try ... https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download...x?id=34429
Hi Graham,

Thanks! I have to run out right now but I'll give it a try later and post my results.

Gerry
Gerryex3, if you temporarily rename "NPVRCCExtractor.ax" in the NextPVR directory, to something else (to stop it being found), does it make any difference to this problem?
sub Wrote:Gerryex3, if you temporarily rename "NPVRCCExtractor.ax" in the NextPVR directory, to something else (to stop it being found), does it make any difference to this problem?

Hi sub,

WOW!! You are fantastic! I think that's it. I'm guessing from the file name it has something to do with extracting closed captions and if so I never use them so this workaround is fine. I tried all the scenarios to make it go to the non-responsive black screen both with the remote and the mouse and I could not get it to happen. I did see a different anomaly that I never saw before. This was when I selected Live TV, then you get the "please wait" message, then the screen will go black for a few seconds before the video appears. Well twice when it went to the black screen before the video comes up the video never came up. I clicked around with the mouse even though nothing was showing but this time either it recovered by itself or when Windows declared it non-responsive there was another option to let the program recover which I selected and it did recover. I think this may have been me exiting Live TV and then going back in so quickly possibly the USB tuner got stuck somehow.

But other than the above it seems to be working correctly now. Was there something in the logs that lead you to that file somehow causing problems. My technical curiosity has been peaked!!

One last question if you don't mind. As I mentioned in other posts the IR remote is working fine and I have NPVR set up to start with the "green" button but that doesn't work. Is there something else I have to do to get that to work.

Once again, THANKS VERY MUCH for all your help!!!

Gerry
Gerryex3 Wrote:One last question if you don't mind. As I mentioned in other posts the IR remote is working fine and I have NPVR set up to start with the "green" button but that doesn't work. Is there something else I have to do to get that to work.
Your MCE remote may be sending a different code for the green button than other remotes, causing NextPVR to not see it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5