NextPVR Forums

Full Version: DVB-S/S2 Tuners are a money pit!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would hate to think how much money I have spent on DVB-S/S2 tuners over the last few years. All of them have either gone bad after a year or two of use, or the drivers have never been updated and I've had to buy new ones to support OS upgrades.

I need either a new dual or quad card (preferably PCIe). Other than TBS, does anyone have any suggestions for a new DVB-S2 card?
Got a dual-tuner TBS card in my PVR right now, working fine for 9 months so far. In the previous PVR, a couple of Hauppauge DVB-S2 cards worked fine for years.
Does no one else have problems with dvb-s2 tuners causing hiccups in the data stream when another tuner kicks in? I've had that happen with Hauppauge cards and a DVBSky one, in two different machines too. Really annoying.

Iain
Hi Iain,

Yep, I have seen exactly that with TBS cards too.
liteswap Wrote:Got a dual-tuner TBS card in my PVR right now, working fine for 9 months so far. In the previous PVR, a couple of Hauppauge DVB-S2 cards worked fine for years.

My first TBS 6981 failed so I got a new one. But now this card is totally unreliable in Windows 10. They are not going to update the drivers. Having gone through two of their cards in the last couple of years, I no longer have faith in them.
I have been thinking about getting a DVB-S2 card for over 2 years but have been put off by the reports of so many failing before they were 2 years old. I know some of the earlier cards got quite hot and some consumed over 20W which is not good for reliability. I was interested in the DVBSky S952 as it was advertised as "Low Power" but only got round to buying one a few weeks ago. I have just checked it while running and nothing on the board felt hot and the highest temp measured 35 deg on a couple of surface mount chips. It remains to be seen how long it lasts!!

Chris
So a few months later, I have relented and ordered two TBS6902 (dual tuner) PCIe cards. They work out cheaper than a single quad and supposedly you can have two installed simultaneously. I really couldn't find a better deal, as the dual tuner cards have now come down in price a lot. The way I see it, it will be unlikely to have two separate cards fail at the same time, so at least I shouldn't be tuner-less should one of them fail. Wish me luck.
Fingers crossed! Seriously though, once TBS had sorted out the PCIx speed bug with the latest versions of the firmware, my TBS dual tuner, running inside a small aluminium case that's mostly heatsink and so gets quite warm, I've had nearly a year of fault-free running with mine.
I'm running two TBS cards in my current NextPVR setup. A quad DVB-S and a quad DVB-C. Been running perfectly well for just under 2 years now. I have them setup on Windows 7 Ultimate, which is scheduled to automatically reboot every Wednesday at 02:00.

No issues.
hi I am new here but would like to say I am running a TBS 6982 on my satellite feed it is running great until all the transponder movement I fail to get a good epg now now and next I was getting almost a full 7days thru media centre so I am thinking I need a new card was looking at the new version but no one has done a write-up on them yet so I am a little annoyed I have to manually set a recording off bit inconvenient has anyone got a good card name they want too share for media centre epg problems using next software on my free-view
Pages: 1 2