NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Comskip, NextPVR and Plex
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have NextPVR set up to record OTA TV shows and drop the recordings into a plex channel. Streaming the shows works ok in plex. I also have comskip set up with NextPVR for parallel processing and comskip processes the shows and creates the edl and txt files properly. However I can't figure out how to tell plex to use the edl file to skip over the commercials (or even if that is possible with plex). Can this be done, or is there a better way to do what I want?

I've looked into MCEBuddy a little bit. The problem there is that I often like to be able to watch the recording as it is being recorded but MCEBuddy processes the recording after it's done recording.

Any help is much appreciated.
No it's not possible with plex. There is no way a channel (or library) can direct plex to read an EDL file and skips parts of a video file. The only solution (for plex) is to cut out the bits of the video you don't want.

With the plex channel you can manually skip, but it's not that reliable. Getting recordings into plex as a library item us a much better experience.
OK thanks.
How do I Get recordings from NextPVR into plex as a library item?
When you installed NextPVR, under Settings | Recording you set up a default Recording Directory. Example C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\. When you installed Plex Server, you were asked to point to a Directory containing your TV shows. In our example you want to point the Plex server to C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV. Also under NextPVR Setting |Recording File Naming, you want to be sure that 'Use S01E01 file naming if possible' and 'USe Movie Name (Year) format for movies if possible' are checked. Now assuming the your EPG date has season/episode information (like Schedule Direct) you should be good to go. If you EPG data do not supply season/episode information then you will have to use a third party program to rename the recording into the proper Plex Media Naming convention. Seehttps://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categor...reparation. You could try ImageGrabLite or FileBot.

In plex, if the client app support skipping. you could set skip forwardto 60 seconds and skip back to to 10 seconds. In general, skip forward/back works better over hard wired connection than over WiFi.