NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Recording services stopped but no warning or notification is issued
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looks like NPVR recording services may have stopped this past Thursday morning. But none of the shows that failed to record (Thursday or Friday) showed under the recordings menu until after I rebooted the computer (on Saturday). Before I rebooted I was trying to delete another failed recording (due to lack of signal) and received the error in the attached screen shot. The restart solved that as well.

Is there a method to get notification for the failed recording service or to get it to recover automatically? I kind of missing feature in the older version that would have a list of recording shows / active tuners listed in the status tray.

On a slightly related note, I think one of my Avermedia dual-tuner cards was offline for several weeks until this past Wednesday morning (resolved during physically pulling the power cord from the computer), resulting in a few shows getting cut off early, such as the last 5-10 minutes of Telenovela and Lucifer (due to lack of available tuners). Should have had 6 tuners available, but only had 4 tuners working. The number of shows and padding specified would have required 5 tuners to work as planned. But short of checking the logs I had no other indication that a tuner was not functioning correctly.

Some type of in application alert, or an email alert in these instances would afford the opportunity to minimize their impact.

"Logs-stopped thursday morning.zip" are the latest from this morning (2-27-16)
"Logs- lucifer an telenovela get cut as end" is from Wednesday morning (2-24-16), not sure if they rolled off from the newer logs.

Thanks,
Matt
Check the Windwos Event Viewer for log messages about it dying. These would likely identify the faulting module.
If you look in Windows "Services" and locate "NPVR Recording Service" and under the "Recovery" tab you will see options what to do after the First, Second and Subsequent failures. I have not used it for several years but when I did I set "Restart Service" for the first two then "Restart Computer" for subsequent failures. I find that doing a reboot every night after the EPG update prevents all sorts of problems lasting too long. However I just remembered that I had a failed recording several weeks ago so will enable service recovery on my server.

Chris
sub Wrote:Check the Windwos Event Viewer for log messages about it dying. These would likely identify the faulting module.

Looks like: NShared.RecordingService.WorkerThread()

As for the missing system tray notification, my mistake. It was there last night Smile

I took Chris' suggestion, short of rebooting, for the restarting the failed service in the future. I think I can take care of some email notification on the 3rd failure with "blat".

Not sure what I could do about detecting an entire tuner card disappearing or failing... but I'll have a new 4-tuner card installed this weekend.
I'm not sure what in there might have caused that.

Have you just seen it the once, or is it happening from time to time?
sub Wrote:I'm not sure what in there might have caused that.

Have you just seen it the once, or is it happening from time to time?

Just the once. Just didn't notice for a few days :o
I'll add some more logging for the next release, which will hopefully help us track down the cause it if it happens again.