NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Happauge 1212
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1st, I want to thank everyone in this forum who has helped me out. This is a fantastic community, and, without your help, I would have never got my software going to where it is now.. thanks Smile

With that said, I have a hardware question about my device. Probably a simple one too. I "DO" realize this is a forum for NextPVR, and, not my Happauge 1212, but, I cant think of a better place to ask than here.

The IR blaster that comes with my unit, according to the manual, is a peel and stick eye that is supposed to stick DIRECTLY to my DirectTV receiver. This seems odd. I mean, I really dont mind the stickiness going on the receiver, but, that would mean it is shooting the signal from the bottom of the IR blaster, doesent that seem odd?

The below text is directly from the setup instructions:

Install the IR transmitter (blaster) at your set top box: Attach the
end of the IR transmitter over the remote sensor on the set top box to be
controlled. Placement of the IR transmitter is important! The IR
transmitter only works over a 1 inch distance, so you need to make
sure it is placed over the remote sensor in your set top box

It just seems strange that they want you to place it DIRECTLY on the sensor.

Before doing so, I just wanted to get some opinions.
Yeah, blasters that come with capture devices are often attached that way. The whole sensor, including the back, is probably made out of a dark semi-transparent plastic, and enough IR light bleeds through/round the sticker for the IR sensor to detect channel changes.
P.S.: I find that although the little thing sticks okay when it's new, it eventually melts off and has to be held on some other way. Also, one of my set top boxes has a curved face, so that was right out and on that one I just dangle the little bugger out in space right in front of the box and it works fine. Like, you really don't need the proximity of attachment to the faceplate, just so long as it's close enough to work.
Both my STB and DTA are very fussy and definitely need to be in that one square inch and I use electrical tape to hold it. Some DirectTV receivers accept http commands over ethernet for tuning which might be more reliable.

Martin
I use hot glue works great