NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Zap2It Has different show titles for new and rerun shows, this causes problems....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I should preface this with a bit of a disclaimer, i am new to this, all I have used is windows media center but i decided it is finally time to upgrade, so if I'm posting this in the wrong place, or i am being just in general stupid please tell me and I am sorry in advance.

So anyway now that i have declared that I'm most likely just an idiot, I use zap2it.com to update my epg with zap2xml and an interesting thing that I have found that occurs is they add a " *" (space and then an asterisk) after the titles of "new shows which causes nextpvrs automated recording not to catch them which is a problem. If i set up my recordings to just be the shows with the asterisks then i will get all the new show but if i miss one it will never record the rerun, and if i only record the reruns then it may be months later before i catch some of the shows that I wish to watch. I could also record both but that would lead to two separate folders and a lot of wasted hard drive space.

So now my question is, is there a way to fix this either by some setting in nextpvr, or creating some batch code that would run after the xml file was created and just delete all the " *" in the xml file, or is there a better epg updater i should be using because zap2xml takes about half an hour to get 14 days of programming which is insane, granted it creates a very large xml file, and another thing with zap2xml it needs to be run as an administrator so when nextpvr auto updates its epg listings it will not run properly and therefor i have task scheduler set up to run it every 3 days.

Thanks for your time,
David
David

I will assume that you, like the vast majority of NextPVR users, are primarily interested is in recording "new" episodes. If that is the case, then you want to set up your recurring recordings for "new" shows using those shows with an "*". I am getting close to 6 years of using NextPVR for recording new episodes and I have a success rate of at least 98%. If for some reason I did not record a "new" episode, usually because I forgot to leave the PC on, I usually end up watching the missed episode from a secondary source. Most of the networks (US) will allow you to watch the most recent 5 episodes from their website.

As to your download problem, switch from 14 days to 7 days. My own personal recommendation is to switch to Schedules Direct for your EPG data.
david_hickox Wrote:So now my question is, is there a way to fix this either by some setting in nextpvr, or creating some batch code that would run after the xml file was created and just delete all the " *" in the xml file,
I've never used zap2xml, but looking at the command line parameters via google, it looks like its only adding thus " *" if you run it with a "-A" parameter.

Quote:or is there a better epg updater i should be using because zap2xml takes about half an hour to get 14 days of programming which is insane, granted it creates a very large xml file
I'd suggest looking into Schedules Direct instead.
Thank you to both of you, that was a lot of help, and as sub figured out I blindly followed a setup guide and never bothered to actually look up what any of the commands do, lesson learned. I will definitely look into Schedules Direct it seems to be a better option.

-David