NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Channel changing a UK SKY HD+ (sky make) via hauppauge colossus 2 IR Blaster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

HARDWARE
PC - Skylake Intel i5, 8Gb DDR4 memory, 1TB SSD Drive
contains
TV Capture card - Hauppauge colossus 2 with IR Blaster
connected to HD Fury Matrix pci card
Fury connected to TV HDMi and Sky HD+ Set Top Box (make Sky, model R013.082.09.00P)

SOFTWARE
Windows 10 Pro
Hauppauge capture and WinTV 8 (latest version)
NextPVR (latest version)
Kodi

I can see and hear the Sky programmes through the Capture software and record perfectly. I can see and hear through NextPVR, but cannot change channels.

Any ideas please?
Have you configured your blaster and set top box in the Hauppauge BlastCFG utility? Thats the first step. When you're happy thats working, go into the Settings->Devices screen, double click your Colossus 2 device, set the blaster to 'HD-PVR IR Blaster', select all your channnels, right click and select 'update to current settings' (to get these channels to use the changes you made to the made to the blaster settings).
Thanks for the quick reply....

Now there's the thing... I ran the Hauppauge BlastCFG utility. Tried the standard Sky codes, tried learn mode and nothing. I have also ordered a 'magic eye' to connect to the RF Out 2 (powered) on the Sky HD+ box (it is a pre 2013 model to still has an RF Out2 - though maybe upgrading the box soon so may not have that option for long)

Nextpvr doesn't allow me to select and save the IR Blaster and default to haupblast.exe

All the channels come u fine in Nextpvr using a subscription to direct schedules.

I can even control everything except the channel changing via iphone via Kodi.

I think my question should have been... From your experience, what software / hardware combination do I need to buy to change channels on a SKY HD+ STB using the Nextpvr with a colossus 2 capture card?

Many thanks
Haupblast.exe doesn't do anything itself. It's just a very simple wrapper that passes the channel number to the Hauppauge IR software, which has to be configured with BlastCFG. So you'd need to get the blaster working in their before haupblast.exe will be able to do anything for you.

I have no idea what blasters or set top boxes are compatible with Sky HD+ boxes in the UK. Another user that might be using one of these set top boxes might be able to give you some advice.

NextPVR can use any blaster that has a command line (which I think is all of them), so it's just matter of you finding a blaster that is compatible with your set top box.
OK thanks...

I spoke to Hauppauge and they said that they had not tested their IR Blaster with that model SKY STB, however I am sure there must be at least one good sole using your great Nextpvr software that also using a colossus 2 card with a programmable IR Blaster of sorts. Maybe you or someone can suggest a known working IR Blaster with that Hauppauge unit. I will also go on the hunt for the IR code required for a UK Sky Box. If one can buy replacement remotes for Sky STB, the codes must be available somewhere?

I'm so close to getting this setup right. Just one more piece of the puzzle!!

Thank you for the info regarding what the haupblast.exe does. Maybe I am doing something wrong with the BlastCFG... Do you have any experience with that?

Many thanks
TheWiFiWizard Wrote:I spoke to Hauppauge and they said that they had not tested their IR Blaster with that model SKY STB, however I am sure there must be at least one good sole using your great Nextpvr software that also using a colossus 2 card with a programmable IR Blaster of sorts. Maybe you or someone can suggest a known working IR Blaster with that Hauppauge unit.
Yeah, everyone using a Colossus or HDPVR2 (which are essentially the same hardware in PCIe form) is using a blaster. There is a variety of different blasters in use (like iguanaworks, USB-UIRT, MCE blasters or simple WinLIRC blasters). I'm not sure which are compatible with your set top box though. If the BlastCFG utility doesn't like your set top box, it's possible they're doing something non-standard with it's IR.

Quote:Thank you for the info regarding what the haupblast.exe does. Maybe I am doing something wrong with the BlastCFG... Do you have any experience with that?
Sorry, I don't have BlastCFG installed at the moment, and it's been a few years since I've used it myself, so my memory of it is very hazy. Make sure your remote is only a couple of inches away from the receiver sensor when learning.
It's a shame that no one as yet has sussed out how the ios/android apps change the channels over the Sky ethernet link. I've never been happy with the reliability of IR blasters
Hi Martin

Do you have yours working with an IR blaster and Sky STB?
The remote I used was a redremote serial to IR widget. Sadly it looks like it's gone belly-up. It was at http://www.redremote.co.uk It was a lot more reliable than using the blaster that came with my Hauppague pvr150 or the usb pvr150. Think it just had a microchip in the 9pin serial socket and an IR led on the end of a bit of wire. I used it with a remote eye and the RF2 from the sky box, but quality of picture was always a bit iffy.
I'm using a different way now that isn't really reproducible.
Thanks Martin

I have perfect sound and picture through the HDMi, it is only a question of controlling the channel changing.
Did you need to use a special code to get your IR setup to control the SKY HD box?

I have just found a list of possible codes for SKY STBs 00099, 00847, 00887,01175, 01662,01693 and 01848. Did you need any of them?
Pages: 1 2