NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Cannot add UNC to Recording Directories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I've been trying to find an answer to this all over the net, but still no luck.

Here is my issue. I am trying to add Network Attached Storage to my NextPVR install under Windows 10. The drive has plenty of space for all the stuff I want to record. When I initially installed NextPVR, it took forever to get my computer to show the NAS under the Windows NETWORK tree. I could easily map the NAS to a drive letter, but it would not come up under the Windows NETWORK tree. After a bunch of fiddling the NAS showed up under the Windows NETWORK tree and I was able to add it as a Recording Directory.

It has worked fine for 6 months. Today the NAS no longer shows up under the Windows NETWORK tree. I have no idea why this happened. I've been Googling for the past 4 hours in search of a solution, and nothing.

I've read one post in the NextPVR forum that recommends using the UNC path in the Recording Directory section of settings. Unfortunately, this is only possible if the NAS is in the Windows NETWORK tree. When selecting the RECORDING directory, a dialog box is displayed and the user can only select what is in the dialog box. There is no method of manually inputing the UNC path to a drive. I was hoping I could add the Drive Letter I mapped out that is in Windows Explorer, but it does not stay in the RECORDING directory settings. NextPVR changes it back to the default setting on the Local Disk.

Can anyone guide me to a solution?
Solved!
After days and days trying to figure out why my dedicated reliable NextPVR setup wouldn't work anymore I finally figured it out. I couldn't find a solution anywhere. I was left trying to think of what I could have done to cause the issue. I couldn't think of anything. This lead me to thinking what else changed. Then it hit me. Windows Updates! That's the only thing that changed on the system. I began uninstalling the most recent updates one by one. When I uninstalled KB3189866 and rebooted my NETWORK was back.

I don't know what the UPDATE was suppose to fix, but it removes all shares in the NETWORK tree. I wish Microsoft would provide instructions on how to re enable the shares, unfortunately they don't. I don't like uninstalling patches and updates that are suppose to improve and secure my system. In this case its install the update and have no NETWORK access or uninstall to use my home NETWORK. Until Microsoft publishes something on how to re enable the shares I'll leave KB3189866 to Microsoft so I can use my home network.

I hope this helps someone else who is using Windows 10.