NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Slow fast forwarding during recorded TV playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have configured and started using NextPVR in replacement of Windows Media Center.

I have everything working and I am quite satisfied with the software and the quality of the recordings.

Only problem I encounter is when I want to skip ads or advance in a recorded TV show.
We have a WMC remote, so pressing the forward button advances (30 sec or 60 sec I don't remember). The thing is this is really slow. It may take 10-15 seconds of jittery video before it finally starts normal playback, or sometimes it may need to Play or Forward button pressed again to continue playing.

In WMC this used to be instantaneous.

Is there any setting or feature I could try to improve this?

I might try comskip eventually, which could resolve some of this, but I'd still want to ability to move forward easily.

Thanks!
I had the same problem when first using NextPVR. I just recently moved from Windows 7 and have been struggling to replace what Media Center did. For me, the fix came from switching decoders. I'm now using the decoders that come with Hauppauge's WinTV app for MPEG2 Video, MPEG1 Audio and AC3 Audio. I'm not sure what I was using when I had the problem - I believe some combination that included LAV decoders.

Generally, the two problems I've tried to balance out with decoder selection have been the skipping forward and back when watching a recording, and the speed of switching channels when watching live TV. Some combinations work well for one but not the other. The Hauppauge do the best job with fast, smooth skipping and since that's most important to me, I'm sticking with them. YMMV but I do recommend trying different combinations if you have some choices.
Trocadile Wrote:the fix came from switching decoders.

My stock advice is to try SAF ... SAF is an installer that will install decoders and utilities that should work well anywhere ... Send a forum private message to Hoborg and ask for the "unlocked" version that has the "best" decoders ... http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...post414049
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
I am currently using the SAF decoders. I'll try the "unlocked" ones.
I am also going to install the Hauppauge ones and see if that makes any difference.
I have installed PowerDVD v.16 and tried to use the decoders from PowerDVD. I see two options for MPEG2 video, but both produce only black video.
I can hear the sound and when I press the remote button to fast forward, it is instantaneous... there is just no video!

I have also tried to watch the recorder TV in Kodi. It works fine and the fast forward is smooth.
Does anyone know which decoder Kodi uses? I could just use the same one in NextPVR.
AMD Wrote:Does anyone know which decoder Kodi uses? I could just use the same one in NextPVR.
Kodi uses it's own built in decoder. It can't be used in NextPVR.
AMD Wrote:I have installed PowerDVD v.16 and tried to use the decoders from PowerDVD.
The decoders in recent versions of PowerDVD can only be used with PowerDVD ... Earlier versions of Cyberlink decoders could be used with other software including with NextPVR. I stand by my view that "unlocked" SAF is the way to go.