NextPVR Forums

Full Version: NextPVR, Transcoding and NEWA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got the latest version of NextPVR installed.
I wanted to see the guide so I pointed the browser on my Android phone on my home network to \\server:8866
The guide came right up. And after playing around with it for a few minutes, I found that I could actually watch live tv and recorded shows on my phone. I didn't have to do any configuration to be able to watch shows on my phone on my home network. It just worked.Needless to say, I was very impressed and pleasantly surprised.
So something is Transcoding the stream, correct?
From what I've read, NEWA is hosted on port 8866 and it will transcode to devices if the user has VLC (which I do) installed on their server.
But I also seemed to see that sub has transcoding built in to NextPVR.
I'd like a bit more information about the architecture because I want to understand it better.
NEWA is a bolt on to NextPVR that's now included with NextPVR by default, correct?
Is there any other web based TV Guide service that is installed by default with NextPVR or is NEWA the one and only?
Are there in fact two ways to transcode with NextPVR or just one?
Here's where I'm going with this...
It seems like someone could easily have a Roku channel that would present the NEWA data to the user. Or an Android app. Or is there something special about the player that NEWA was using to present the actual video?
If NextPVR is doing transcoding now, for someone who has simple placeshifting needs, I'm not seeing a reason that they would need Kodi, Plex or something like it.
Any thoughts along these lines would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
- Waylon
There are two transcoding engines, UJB's VLC transcoding in the old NEWA and sub's transcoding in the Modern UI. and for iOS Reading older posts on this is confusing I'm sure.

Martin