NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Differences in new web UI "Watch" button vs. "Play" button in the old web UI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just upgraded from 3.6.6 to 3.8.3, and I have noticed that the "Play" and "Stream" buttons have been replaced by a "Watch" button. I do love the new UI ...

But, now when I hit "Watch" on the web UI, the default seems to launch the internal streaming player, which causes the NPVR host to jump to nearly 100% CPU. I believe that this is due to the streaming player requesting a transcoded video file format, which maxes out my host NPVR CPU. The video will start, but repeatedly rebuffers during playback (I gave up years ago trying to transcode HDTV .ts files on my HTPC).

Whenever I hit "Play" in the old web UI, it first opens a M3U file that links to the TV program on the host NPVR shows volume. I can choose a media player at this point, which is usually VLC, and then the .ts (HD transport stream) file is played directly over my network just fine with VLC. No buffering, or dropouts encountered. The NPVR host PC does not work hard very with this task, as the CPU remains below 10% at all times in this case.

This is not a showstopper, because I can still launch the old web UI. But I was wondering if there are any other solutions, or if am I overlooking something simple?
Yeah, it requires transcoding the stream, so is only really going to be usable for people with a machine up to the task. It does this to get the stream into a format that is compatible with standard web players, without the user needing to install special web browser plugins or client applications.

As you've mentioned, the fallback option is the old web UI if users need it to work the old way. Sorry!