NextPVR Forums

Full Version: State of IPTV support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've recently got NextPVR working and it looks very good. I'm mainly using OTA with the cheapest satellite subscription I can get to fill in channels I can't get OTA.

I'd now like to get IPTV working so I can cut the cord completely. I've seen several comments on here about IPTV but I'm not sure which ones are current. So three questions:

What is the current state of IPTV support?

What (legal) sources are there for IPTV that work on NextPVR?

Are channels like streamlive.to legal and are they supported?

Thanks,
Tony
The only officially supported style of IPTV is multicast UDP transport streams used by some cable companies to transmit channels to set top boxes on their own network. It doesn't offically support any IPTV channels streamed from the Internet.

I've intentionally avoided supporting internet based streaming because types of sites are notoriously unreliable, with streams there one day and gone the next, or poor streams that don't keep up. These types of channels would just make NextPVR look bad and create continuous support requests that I don't want to deal with.

So, NextPVR is about physical TV tuners, not internet streams...
Thanks for the quick response.

My other questions still stand. Does anyone know of legal sources for IPTV channels? And does anyone know of a way to record from a live stream? I'm in Canada so I get the local Canadian channels OTA. I'm mainly interested in the US networks: ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, PBS. Anything else is a bonus! I'm mainly looking for news and current events. I'm not interested in sports and I have Netflix for movies and TV series.

I know I can get specific programs and segments from many websites, but that's too much like hard work for casual viewing!

Thanks, Tony
VMedia.ca is IPTV based and cheap but not free and have been around for a while. They just go in the news because Bell issued a cease & decist order against there OTA rebroadcasting. I assume they use DRM or proprietary authentication.

Martin
Hi Sub,

I use TVMosaic for IPTV m3u streams recording , have reliable streams and EPG source, so no unstable issues.
Can I use as an option Next PVR or definitely NO ?

kindly advise
cheers from Portugal
Pedro
Sure - you can use NextPVR for recording IPTV channels.

You've replied to a very old thread, and a lot as changed in that time. NextPVR v5 has good support for IPTV.
thanks you for reply.
Had seen that IPTV support was stopped in ver 2.5.9 and thought all is gone...
So, you tell me that newest version is fully working with m3u streams and EPG sources , so ok for me to use it , pls cfm.

best wishes from other side of world....and congrats for NZ nice job with Covid.
(2020-10-21, 06:41 PM)pbelo Wrote: [ -> ]thanks you for reply.
Had seen that IPTV support was stopped in verĀ  2.5.9 and thought all is gone...
So, you tell me that newest version is fully working with m3u streams and EPG sources , so ok for me to use it , pls cfm.
Yes, the current v5 fully supports IPTV.

IPTV prior to 2.5.9 in NextPVR was a different type of thing, related to broadcasters that multicast channels via udp on their cable networks. Now it's IPTV more like you're thinking.

Quote:best wishes from other side of world....and congrats for NZ nice job with Covid.
Cheers - we have done really well, and I'm pretty proud of NZ Smile
I have a m3u file on PC folder with 10 ch ( selected already from 5.000.....) I want to record.
I dont use URL in TVMosaic for IPTV streams , just browse to this m3u file, can I do same with NPVR ?
For EPG I use URL from EPG provider, can I use same URL in NPVR ?

I am big fan of your Jacinda...pity most politians are not same style....
Made install and was asked on browser to type user + pass, gave same as forum and was denied , any idea why ?

thanks for advice
Pages: 1 2